Non-running Loco - Any Help Please?

pidge123

Hi everyone, some help please. I have just brought a Hornby R2559 Princess Margaret Rose DCC fitted from a seller on line. When I try it on my track I get no response at all. I'm no expert but the decoder looks like a Hornby. Have tried re-addressing it but still no luck, all other trains work OK on the track. I have a Hornby select controller. Is there a list of potential reasons, I was thinking of just replacing the decoder with a new one.

Do you know anyone with a more advanced controller who can reset the decoder for you?

There's also a chance that the previous owner did not turn DC off, so if you have an old DC controller you could try testing the loco with that.

What Poliss was trying to say is, if it currently has a four digit address there is a CV that needs to be changed to convert it back to accepting two digit addressing. Since you have a Select controller you are not able to change this particular CV in question as the Select can not read and write CVs other than the two digit address and a couple of others that are built into the command menu structure.

Contact the seller and ascertain the last known address, if it IS a four digit address you will need to take your loco to someone (a shop, repairer, friend, club) who has a better quality controller to make the CV change for you. Once it is re-configured to accept two digit addressing, then you can use your Select to configure a new address in the range 1 to 59

Or just dump the Select for a better controller.

Of course fitting a new decoder would restore the factory two digit addressing default.

All of this of course assumes that 4 digit addressing is in fact the loco problem. Not that you can do it with the Select, but if someone you know can write value 8 to CV8, that would return the existing decoder to factory default and make the loco ID 03.

If it's the Sheffield seller (Rails), wouldn't they be testing the loco and presumably performing a factory reset before shipping. I wouldn't know myself, as I have not bought secondhand locos before.

If we assume for a moment that Rails have done a factory reset before shipping then that would enable DC running support. In the absence of a DC controller you could apply a PP3 9 volt battery across the pick-up wheels and see if the motor runs.

If that works, then perhaps dynax's suggestion of substituting decoder with a known working one. If that works, then the choice is to either negotiate with Rails for a refund / repair or just chalk it up to experience and fit a new decoder.

I agree with doing the decoder swap from one of your other locos,cremembering it will then be on the address you last set that decoder to.  If it works with the swapped decoder, you know what the problem is.  You can return the decoder saying it doesn't work on 03 as advertised, or any other 2 digit address and you want a replacement.

If it still doesn't work, I'd return the whole thing as you have only just bought it.  Or come back and we can offer more advice.

The make of decoder should not make any difference and I operated Bachmann and Hornby decoders when I used a Select.  You should not have to start replacing or even checking the decoder if you have just bought it.  I would be contacting the seller and asking for advice and looking to return it if it still doesn't work, as Fishy says.

Would a non Hornby decoder be the problem with a Select controller?

I suppose it is possible, there have been some reports on the forum of issues with non Hornby decoders used with Select. The most common solution being sited is to fit a 100uH choke (inductor) in series with one leg of the controller track output. This one (RAPID On-line UK) is rated at 5 amps, so would be OK for a Select with a 1 amp or 4 amp PSU or these are rated at 3 amps (Pack of 10 from China via e-bay, a lot cheaper than Rapid but longer delivery timescale and lower current rating - good for a 1 amp Select PSU).

I point you back to my last post, the one directly above your latest.

Noticed that your handle has crept numerically up the keyboard, is there a pidge789 as well?  { :-)

'Rails' the workshop guy says that ... replacing it with a standard Hornby chip will work

Presumably he has already put one in the post for you f.o.c under 'customer goodwill' even if loco was second hand.

Archived