A short clip of one of my 5 pole converted locomotives

Icurus

Not sure of which section to post this in, as it kind of straddles 2!

But here is a short clip of my City of Bristol Coronation class locomotive that I converted it 3 pole ringfield in the tender to a 5 pole and fitted a TCS T1 decoder as well.

I know some think the 3 pole is just as good, but seeing as the 5 pole conversion only cost £10, if my memory is correct, I thought it is worth it.

I used an Elite as the controller and it was on its lowest power setting.

The camera was the wifes Fuji bridge camera and although its in HD, I think the frame rate is making it look slightly jerky, but it is smooth in the flesh.

I have done no real setting up of the DCC module, other then up the start voltage a tad.

I did make a slide show of me converting a 3 pole  ringfield into a 5 pole, but I was not happy with the quality, so I shall have to do another at some point.

I had a big clearout a while back, as I seem to have collected rather a lot of locomotives from across all era's and regions!  Whats left is for keeps, sorry :)

Ahh, the chip fitting.

There are a few different versions of the Hornby ringfield motor, and I have only seen 3 types, and they are very easy to DCC.

Type 1: Just has wires taking track voltage to the motor brushes.  Just remove those and attach the wires from the DCC chip to the brushes, easy :)

Type 2: This type has a metal lug the protrudes from the metal side of the motor housing and pushes against one of the motor brushes metal tab through a hole in the plastic side of the motor housing. I just removed the metal brush tab and then that side of the motor is now isolated.

Type 3: Has a long metal screw holding the brush cover in place. This screw goes into the metal part of the motor housing drawing the current from that side to the brush.  I found some plastic srews and replaced that 1 metal one with a plastic one, and now that brush is isolated from the track voltage.

I will make a short video of these types soon...... :)

Archived