Any problems switching over from Select to Elite Controller ?

Jimbo1707820979

Evenin' all. I have just acquired an Elite, not new but appears to be in mint condition and am - a bit apprehensively -about to attempt the changeover from my Select which I am just getting used to. (Running both DCC locos and DC locos on "0" without too many problems, touch wood).

Will it be necessary to re-register my 3 DCC locos addresses or can I just run them without any actions ? Also will the Elite permit me to run DC locos on "0" address ?

Any other helpful hints would be gratefully received.

JIM, hi, have you downloaded the Elite manuel, on line yet. That was my first action. Also, what numbers come up on your ELite. Is it nearly up to date. I have never attempted to run DC locos on my select, having a large DC layout, so will leave that to others.  you have so much more versatility on elite, writing, changing cvs. etc. Start with the manuel, which will answer most of your  questions. If you have the hard copy, ignore it, as so much has changed. john

The loco address is stored in the decoder, not the controller, so you won't have to re-register anything.

You can plug the Select into the Elite, using the R8266 cable, enabling you to have an extra control knob. The Select power supply must not be used if you do this, as the Select will get it's power from the Elite.

It is not recommended to run a DC loco with the Elite or the Select as it can burn out the motor very quickly.

One of the things you may like to look at Jimbo is the Elite revision state as shown on startup - something like v1.3, v1.4, v1.41, etc. If earlier than 1.3 you should look at updating the firmware from a download on the Hornby site, then you can join the rest of us in jolly discussion if it won't do it. Have a look at the forum discussions about updating the Elite before jumping in though.

The reason for recommending the update is the way the Elite and the Select work together - again well documented on these forums.

The Select can also be updated but this requires sending it back to Hornby as it is not a user possible job. Tell us th esequence of numbers shown at startup and people will advise.

Archived