R8213 and K1 CLASS address problem

Parrish

Hope some one cam help me here,

I have a small shunter and ano 060 which run fine through my Hornby 48213 Digital controller.

Yesterday I purchased the Hornby K1 260 DCC ready, and it is as I've checked the unit in the tender is fitted.

Firstly when I place the loco on my addressing track it buzzes from the decoding unit.

when I try to address the loco all goes well until I select to complete the process, the control unit flashes 3 times then cuts back to the address number Which has stopped flashing but the loco will not drive?

It's a nice day out thei and I'm hoping someone might be sat in the attic like me with their trains!

Help?

In the tender is a plugged in unit which has the following info.

TCSP EE02? 8 pins, is this just a blanking plate ?

the box does just say DCC ready.

So I have to replace this small plug in unit with a decoder?

regards

steve

In the tender is a plugged in unit which has the following info.

TCSP EE02? 8 pins, is this just a blanking plate ?

the box does just say DCC ready.

So I have to replace this small plug in unit with a decoder?

regards

steve

Yes you do.  I've just checked the Hornby store and none of the three K1s available come with the decoder chips pre-installed.  While some digital controllers allow the running of non-DCC locos (on address 0 I think, I don't run digital), I don't know if the basic Select unit has this provision.  In any case, its been shown that it is not advisable to do so, or at least to leave the loco stationary on the layout.

As you have a R8213 controller (Select), there have been posts on here with reported issues between the Select and NON Hornby decoders. Thus you are probably better off buying a Hornby R8249 decoder to be sure of decoder / controller compatibility. Other brands of decoder may be cheaper, but if they then don't work with your Select, then that is a false economy.

Did the information sheet that came with the loco not make a recommendation as to what was the preferred decoder model to install?

There are also many posts on here about the limitations of the Select controller and recommendations to upgrade to a better controller.

This should have been posted in the DCC forum section. I daresay Admin will move it there in due course.

Archived