Hornby 0-6-0 DCC throws itself into reverse?

Parrish

My Hornby 0-6-0 DCC loco has problems.

difficult to start! If I apply slight pressure to the loco she then picks up the signal, I have cleaned wheels to no avail.

after she has started and I move onto ano loco without any control she throws herself into reverse and always at the same position on the track, but not every time!

I am running two other DCC locos which behave perfectly well on the Same track.

im new to DCC any suggestions?

Steve

Sounds like the power pick-ups aren't making proper contact, maybe the wheels or elsewhere inside.

I'm betting it goes into reverse as it goes over the points. What happens is a wheel touches the left and right rail at the same time, making a short circuit. This makes the loco think it's on DC and runs away out of control.

Check that the back to back distance between the wheels is 14.4mm +/- 0.05mm.

If you have the Elite you can turn of DC in CV29. You can't do that if you have the Select.

... and re address the three locos ...

I don't understand.  I thought the other 2 Loco's were OK, if so, the controller must be OK as well.

If I have understood correctly, the problem occurs at the same place but not every time, on the one Loco.  Where is that place (as asked above by poliss)

Surely, you just need to concentrate on the Loco that has the problem.

... and re address the three locos ...

I don't understand.  I thought the other 2 Loco's were OK, if so, the controller must be OK as well.

If I have understood correctly, the problem occurs at the same place but not every time, on the one Loco.  Where is that place (as asked above by poliss)

Surely, you just need to concentrate on the Loco that has the problem.

Yes two other locos run fine, for whatever reason the troublesome loco will not take ano address either.

happens on a 2nd radius curve which is part of an inner track.

As I only have the three locos I think I will reset the controller and re address the locos and see if that has any effect.

that will be later tomorrow.

Same place same curve, but not all the time?

so why do you think that resetting the controller and the id's will help if it is only one Loco that has a problem on the same piece of track.

Same place same curve, but not all the time?

so why do you think that resetting the controller and the id's will help if it is only one Loco that has a problem on the same piece of track.

Any suggestions welcome!

Parrish, it would be worth removing the loco body and checking if the decoder or any wiring is loose and likely to short against a wrong connection. If anything was loose then centrifugal force, whilst traversing the curve, might cause the problem. HB

I'm in the school thinking this is more likely a pickup issue, so make sure these and the backs of the wheels are clean and the pickups are properly tensioned on the wheels.

However, resetting your controller can't do any harm, nor can changing the address of this loco.  No point at all changing the addresses of the working locos, addresses are held in the loco decoders, not the controller.

Sorted!

reset the controller as per on line Hornby instructions.

re addressed the troublesome loco.

all so far appears to be ok.

i did remove the body and have a look and a poke about the loco, measured wheel distances, cleaned everything.

fingers crossed

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a similar problem to that mentioned above. I am running a DCC ready Flying Scotsman with a DCC chip fitted.The train sometimes has problems starting off may need a push on times, once going seems to be OK. But every so often if will come to a complete stand still for no apparent reason, or throw its self into reverse for about a metre then throw its self forward again and keep going. Could it be the DCC chip?

I have done all that I read from the previous problem i.e. cleaned the track & wheels, re programmed the train and re set the controller but still the same problem.

I have another loco that goes around the track without a problem. If I cant fix the problem is there somewhere I can send it for repair? Thanks, David.

Uncontrolled run a ways are caused by corrupt DCC data being received by the decoder that has DC running enabled.  The decoder 'sees' the full DCC rail volts as being full power DC and the loco takes off like a scalded cat in one direction. It can not be stopped only by disconnecting the rail power. Note the emergency stop button does not remove track power! At times the loco will stop itself and revert to normal operation when it finally receives the correct DCC data, but some DCC command stations have to be instructed to resend this data as not all systems do this repeatedly!

The simplest 'fix' is to turn off DC operation on the decoder via CV29, but this cannot be done for Select owners.  Otherwise ensure clean rail tops, wheel treads, rear of wheel wipers inside faces and the rear of the pick up wheels. The use of bus filters may also help where a DCC bus pair of wires are used. 

Of course a defective decoder or its wiring can cause the same results!

Archived