Jimyjames Model Rail/Working Roundhouse/other Railway Videos :)

JJ73

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CALLING ALL NEWBIES...

Not sure how to do a Lay out or any thing like that - I've made a video which I hope will answer a few questions!!! Goto my YT Channel :- Jimyjames73 & look for a Video Called :-

How to Model a Railway Track :-

or click here :-

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my YT Channel name to  :- 'Jimyjames73' to 'Jj73 - Locos / 3D Printer / Bike Rides / Exploring'

I have done this b/c...I've just changed my Channel Name to reflect a few things that I do on my Channel - The reason is interesting - another Friend on YT called C J Cambell who is into Military stuff & also just changed his Channel name has Notice that b/c of this Lock-down - loads of people are turning to YT b/c there is not much on TV & there fore more traffic - more views & that is why I'm doing this 'experiment' just to see what happens!!!

JJ

• 2 months later...

Hiya - I've just recently bought the GWR Freight Set (R1254) & the Hornby Dublo Train (with the Sir Nigel Gresley - R1252) & they both contain the 'New improved Hornby Basic Contolller' - R7229 & I have found that they make the locos noisy -  I've made a quick vid - to show you - 

Pretty sure it's to do with the PWM control that it puts out - it can make the motors produce rather loud whining noises at a high pitch. 

If you are not sure what PWM is, click the link below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Sam's Trains also briefly talks about the PWM whining with the R7229 when he reviews the controller here:

Looking at the first 5 minutes of Sam's video, the old Hornby controller he is comparing it against is also pwm. Unless it has different internals it is exactly the same one as I got with my Pendolino and it is PWM. I know because I had issues geting train lighting to work and looked at it on an oscilloscope. PWM is much better for driving DC motors and is much easier to generate using a digital device, hence why they use it.

I knew that the old Hornby Controller was PWM, I just thought that the fact he mentioned it and how it talks about it makes his locomotive whine might help JJ understand what is going on a bit more - and work out whether it is the PWM or a fault with his locomotive (which is unlikely.)

14xx Tank

• 3 months later...

Hi

It is a shame that your video links about the 'new' Hornby controller were not publicised more. I have an old 1990's Hornby controller - no problems with noise of any kind, but as it is so old I bought the new controller. If I had seen your thread, and been aware of the issues I would have thought twice.

I still can't believe that Hornby would produce such a product.

Keith

Hi Keith

Sorry that you didn't see my vid untill it was too late - Yeah I know what you mean - I have quite a few controllers myself -  the H & M Duette (Best Ever!!! 😉) & 2000 (they don't make the Locos hum!!!), a few of the old Hornby basic Conroller (also don't make the Locos hum!!!) & the NEW Hornby Basic Controller R7229 which does make the Locos Hum - some thing to do with the PWM apparently!!!

Odd that - I have been using R7229 as my track power source when testing some DC and DCC projects controlling both DC and DCC-Fitted locos and there is no motor hum. Maybe it is individual motors that are affected.

Odd that - I have been using R7229 as my track power source when testing some DC and DCC projects controlling both DC and DCC-Fitted locos and there is no motor hum. Maybe it is individual motors that are affected.

What models were they?

Keith

Various small 0-4-0 steam and RR or Heavy diesel/electric, some plain DC, DCC-Ready with blanking plates and DCC-Fitted, either R8249 or TTS. Anything I have to hand.

• 1 month later...

Hello Every one  😀

I'm really excited to tell you that after 12 years I have just reach 1000 yes 1000 videos on my YT Channel!!! I didn't really think about it untill recently - But that is quite achievement!!! I've made my vid about "

" - The question is - How can a Magazine be a book at the same time???

• 1 month later...