Hornby Select 'hissing' noise?

Nictor

Just gone back to useing a Hornby select on my n gauge test layout and it seems to be making a very slight hissing type of noise when connected. Loco's all work fine. I don't remember it doing this before on my old oo gauge shelf layout. Any ideas?

Maybe a loose fitting power plug on the power supply, its cooking an insect or chucking a hissy fit because it wants to be connected to big engines, either way check the power plug and socket are a tight fit or give it some time and see if it settles down itself, if its working OK its highly unlikely that any components on the circuit board are cooking.

Bear in mind the system works using a high frequency supply to the track, which is then pulse wave modulated to control the motors. Even the output of the decoders operates at about 18Khz. 

It could be that some of the cpmponents have just become a little noisy, or you have good ears! Given the way high frequency sound travels, simply having the controller in a dieffernt location can change how / if you hear the sound. 

If you are worried, have it checked out.

Been useing it today with my Hornby Rolling Road. Putting some 'big'  OO Hornby locos on eBay. Still hissing at a very low volume. Has not blown up. Need to send it to Hornby anyway for the latest update so I'll get them to check it. Thanks for all replies.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived