Suggestion for KitStarter shipping options

First off, I am absolutely frustrated with the (lack) of shipping options for the KitStarter kits. I am in the US so shipping is quoted as being substantially more than the cost of one kit and makes the price so high that it's cheaper to buy any of the current offerings as second-hand items off ebay.

However, I do have a suggestion that will work for the US and maybe other countries as well. Since Airfix is counting on pre-orders to determine when or if a kit should be produced (and presumably there will only be as many kits produced as pre-orders), shipping speed is clearly not going to be an issue to anyone who commits to pre-order one of the KitStarter items. In addition, all the kits will be produced and shipped out in a short space of time to those who order. That being the case, why doesn't Airfix allow those of us in North America to preorder using the Airfix USA ordering system. When the kits are made, ship them to Hornby USA like you do with regular production kits and let Hornby USA send them on to the individual purchasers. You can set the price on the US site to account for the bulk shipment to Hornby USA and the US site accurately computes postage for the remainder of the journey. There will be a small delay in getting the kit, but it hardly matters since nobody knows when these kits will be produced anyway.

Just a thought, and it might help you hit your target for production a bit faster.

Agree with VMA131Marine on shipping cost. The cost of shipping is always the problem when buying from Airfix. And.... shipping to Holland is the same as shipping to the US! Hope Airfix can work something out so that these wonderful reissues can be bought outside the UK too.

I have to admit the shipping cost - and uncertainty over same - is what's stopped me from backing any Kitstarter projects. There are a couple I'd like but the idea of paying more than the cost of the kit just to post puts me off. Being in New Zealand doesn't really help, but that's not Airfix's fault!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same concern as I am in the US.  I would definitely be in the market for some of these kits but if Airfix cannot follow the excellent suggestion by VMA131Marine, then I will have them ship to a family member in the UK and pick it up when I visit or have them lug them over when they visit me.

Archived