Windows 10

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, I cannot accept that, as you can pick up a laptop with xp, for under £50 on ebay. It would be interesting to have a little survey, on how many machines people have. I cant belive, they cart them about the house, unplugging, etc. 

Takes the biscuit with that one! There are probably many people who cannot afford to spend £50 on a second computer.

I've got a 'second' dedicated desktop, but that cost just over £100 including a monitor.

Is it a chocolate digestive, as we cant get them in france. Comment aimed at people with RM/elink. , dont think £50 would be much of a price for the piece of mind, it would bring. Would cut down, a lot of elink posts, and enable problem free running. Its after all, only a loco price. john

As stated the other day, I impetuously upgraded this main desktop PC I'm on at this very moment. However, I certainly won't risk doing so on my notebook laptop which is more or less dedicated to running RM which I would absolutely hate to upset.

So far on this main PC I have found Windows 10 to be extremely stable. There are a lot of adjustments to make in order to personalise the new OS, but, so far, no massive problems. I have not met up with many bugs at all. One thing I'm slightly bothered about, though, is that I cannot download a suitable driver for my printer which will have to lie idle until such time as one becomes available. Or I could buy a new printer, I suppose, compatible with the new OS - they're generally very cheap and I've had mine for quite a few years now.

I'll report any other significant problems as I go along, but I must admit to being pretty satisfied at the moment - BANG!

I've tried uninstalling and deleting the serial port driver. That makes no difference. I have just noticed that the Elite icon, top right of screen is greyed out and says "DCC conroller inactive" when I hover over it. It isnt initially though, because Railmaster continues to set my points on startup, before the error message appears, and once that has happened the Elite appears to stop working.

Monty

... What you are talking about is the Windows product key which is not the same as the licence key ...

Thanks but as Graskie said, I didn't need it.

I have now upgraded my RailMaster dedicated Laptop to Windows 10, without any problems and RailMaster worked straight away with my Elite.

My laptop has had five failed downloads over the last few days. Error code 80240020.

Computers are a pain sometimes. Thank goodness for the Elite.

I had this on one of the computers I was upgrading to Win10, and this solution worked for me:

1. Go into "C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload" and delete everything in that folder.

2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".

3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch

Ray

... What you are talking about is the Windows product key which is not the same as the licence key ...

Thanks but as Graskie said, I didn't need it.

I have now upgraded my RailMaster dedicated Laptop to Windows 10, without any problems and RailMaster worked straight away with my Elite.

Hi RDS... sorry I didn't get to read your question earlier than now. I know you have solved the upgrade and installed Windows 10 but just for clarification anyway:

The number that was pointed out in the Control Panel under 'System' is, as was said earlier, the Windows 7 Product ID code which can be found on the packaging if Windows 7 is bought separate to a computer and is either an OEM or full version disk (I won't explain the difference here!). It is not a license key in any way shape or form.

The full license key for Windows 7 is always on the base of a laptop and is the 25 numbers and letters arrangement you see on the whitish/silvery sticker. They are separated into a series of 5 each and have a dash or hyphen between these sets. I.E.: 1G2H3-77G8N- etc. etc. If the sticker is not visible it could be placed underneath the battery housing or rarer still on the underside of the unscrewable cover where you can change your memory, hard drive or whatever is accessible.

It is only since Windows 8 that the license key is hard coded into the BIOS and is not found on the hard drive at all. Magic Jelly Bean key finder does not always find a Windows 8 key because it cannot be programmed to read all BIOS versions and where the key is coded. It will read Windows 7 and prior though. It also reads other program's keys too... Office, Nero and many more...

Advice: If you have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 and all is OK you should make a note of that license key number and keep it safe. There is a very good reason for this...

When MS stopped giving out install disks for Windows with new PC's or laptops manufacturers placed a hidden partition to the hard drive installed in each machine which contains the Windows install files and also the laptop or PC manufacturer's own programs etc. This is all installed when you need to do a full system recovery. What they got you to do is make a set of recovery CD's or DVD's (now mostly it is a USB stick that is asked for) and IF the hard drive got damaged you would still have a set of install disks to install your OS and software from to the new hard drive.

If you FAIL to make that set of disks and your hard drive fails you need the license key from the base of your machine in order to install a fresh hard drive in the system and use that key. If that sticker is worn and you didn't make a note of the license and the drive fails you are pretty stuck.

Now... here's the part a lot of folk don't realise: when a laptop or PC is manufactured the license key that is installed to the laptop (I'll use laptop as an example though the same goes for a PC) is a generic one from Microsoft that is used across that model range. It is NOT the exclusive key for that machine. The exclusive key IS the one on that sticker.

You can try this out by using a key reader and then checking the key at the base of the laptop. They won't be the same and if they are it is pretty rare (unless Windows was reinstalled using that key from the sticker). Imagine manufacturers asking their staff to key in individual license keys to each machine before it leaves the warehouse... just not done that way. They preload the same key on all machines as Windows is partially installed ready for you to finish it off when you get it home from shop. Note how you don't enter a license key as you do on a fresh install! There you go.

Always make a note of the license key on any laptop or PC. Make your recovery disks as soon as you can after purchase. Windows 8 users who can't read the key from the BIOS aren't too bad off as the key will always be the same but you are relying on the hard drive NOT failing before you make your recovery disks. If the drive fails and you don't have those disks made up you are asking for trouble. There are ways around it of course but ordinary users, or non techies, won't know what to do. Of course, some companies (not the manufacturers) DO offer install disks but charge around £30 upward for them and these are only copies (not originals) and you WILL still need the key. The ONLY exception is where companies like Dell will sell you a set of original disks for your model (some others do too) as they make lots of the same machines and sell worldwide and can afford to offer this service. You simply give Dell your Service Tag or Express Service Code to obtain the disks. The keys in these instances are installed with Windows so you don't need to enter the key during installation. Some folk try and use these disks to install Windows on a different machine and find the manufacturer has BIOS locked the key so a Dell disk won't work, say, on an HP machine.

Hope this has been of help to some folk and RDS, to you, maye a good idea to note the key etc. just in case W10 decides to do something you don't expect and go belly up.

One thing I'm slightly bothered about, though, is that I cannot download a suitable driver for my printer which will have to lie idle until such time as one becomes available. Or I could buy a new printer, I suppose, compatible with the new OS - they're generally very cheap and I've had mine for quite a few years now.

Graskie... you can use the Windows 8 (or even Windows 7) driver for the printer with no real trouble. There is a high chance it will work. Some Windows 7 drivers work well in Windows 8 or 8.1. Without knowing the model or make of your printer I would say just install that driver from the previous OS and if it doesn't work just uninstall by removing the printer from the CPanel.

You won't cause any damage by attempting it.

It would be interesting to have a little survey, on how many machines people have. I cant belive, they cart them about the house, unplugging, etc. I have my laptop, railway, designated, plus desktop for family use. Anybody else brave enough to admit to more than one. john

John... I couldn't help but have a little giggle at this one. Nothing untoward here though I assure you!

I have a server which has connected through it: two PC's, 2 laptops, a Windows tablet, a Galaxy Tab 2 and two Windows phones... not to mention Kobo's and PDA's!!! What made me laugh was the thought of me unplugging the laptops and tablets and carrying them around the house to use when they are used for the railway as well (one laptop and tablet anyway). It struck me that there must also be others out there with only one machine and they have no choice at all but to do this. However, I DO have the choice (luckily) but I still unplug and carry them about!

It is simply because I work from home and do repairs to laptops, PC's and lots more besides that I do this carrying about. If I have a few machines to fix and do them all at the same time I need sockets aorund the room I use but there are not enough so I have to venture into the darkness that is the downstairs and use sockets there. I am rarely downstairs at all when working and playing rains etc so maybe others have a similar thing?

I've stopped giggling now and am about to head into the kitchen in these very early hours to make a cuppa... laptop in hand!!! :-)

The problem I am having is using RAILMASTER with ELINK, my PC is failing the handshake with it. No matter how many times I re-power it ,re-insert USB cable and restart RAILMASTER this will not solve the problem.Have changed USB port uninstalled and reinstalled the driver with no avail.Since installing Windows 10 have been unable to use RAILMASTER through ELINK.PLEASE PLEASE dont tell me to go back to Windows 8/8.1 as this was the worst Windows O/S ever.

The problem I am having is using RAILMASTER with ELINK, my PC is failing the handshake with it. No matter how many times I re-power it ,re-insert USB cable and restart RAILMASTER this will not solve the problem.Have changed USB port uninstalled and reinstalled the driver with no avail.Since installing Windows 10 have been unable to use RAILMASTER through ELINK.PLEASE PLEASE dont tell me to go back to Windows 8/8.1 as this was the worst Windows O/S ever.

I had some problems with Win 10, although not with eLink. The issue turned out to be corrupted files

Try this command from an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator.

type - SFC /scannow

It will find and probaably fix any corrupted files. Worth a try, although it might not fix your problem

AM

I had railmater working on my windows 8.1 PC connected to my elink to control my points and my elite to control my trains. Elite updated to rev 4.12 without any issues on windows 8.1.

I also run windows 10 preview on another partition and when railmaster,elink and elite connected. Neither would connect to railmaster usb connections. Elite kept dropping connection to usb port and elink wouldnt handshake.

Have just updated windows 8.1 patrition to full windows 10 via free update. Railmaster goes through the process of connecting elite and elink, which results in railmaster showing no link to elite and wont handshake with elink.

However on trying out railmaster the elite does send commands to the track, despite the icon being 'greyed out' and indicating no connection. The elite however refuses to handshake.

I have tried using the default windows 10 usb drivers and the hornby updated ones for win 7/8.1 (which worked previously on win 8.1). I had to go through the usual advanced startup process to disable the unsigned driver warning, as i did also when installing on window 8.1.

What I presently have is my railmaster connected to my elite (but not showing this on icon) running my track diagram to operate points and routes. To drive my trains I have to connect my Lenz system. Track and points are on separate bus wires i must add.

My questions are 1. why does the elite not show as being connected to railmaster?

2. why does the elink not pass the handshake process?

Thanks

MrHuge.

... the icon being 'greyed out' and indicating no connection ...

I had not realised before I read this post but mine is the same.  It does however seem to work perfectly and operates Loco's and points although I have not yet managed to get my Pro Pack validated.

Archived