Windows 10

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33-520B hi, i dont think so, as HRMS, asked people to wait before loading windows 10. If they  were about to release an update, this would have not been necessary. . It is your loading of windows, that has caused the problem.  You have a year to update free. If you wish all to run, you could revert to previous system. Then when problem  resolved in a windows 10 update, reload. john

33-520B yes there is an update due shortly for RailMaster but this may not solve the e-link problems as the update was already due and Windows 10 just fell around the same time. Although they may now be updating the update to resolve the Windows 10 issues only time will tell.

I hope with the money I've spent on the system Hornby or Railmaster will have the decency to e-mail people when the issues are resolved, after all they have virtually all of my contact details.... 

Many thanks to AC for his efforts and thorough description of his installation progress.

I for one will not be updating my Railmaster laptop from Win7 any time soon - what's the point? However on the basis of his review I might just update my ageing desktop - after I make some backups and create a system image and rescue disks!

I thank you TWD for your kinds words and respect your decision to hang fire on this one at least for your current RailMaster setup. I wish you well on your upgrade re 'ageing' laptop. :-)

No, it's an ageing desktop, not laptop. I built it myself, several times. I call it Trigger's Broom as it's had 3 motherboards, 3 CPUs, about 4 memory upgrades, I think 4 graphics cards, countless hard drives and 2 cases!

I've been trying without much success to get it all backed up today, in between installing a couple of new points and sidings on my layout. Day off tomorrow (oooops, just looked at the clock -  that should read today!)  so back to it all tomorrow, Monday....I think...

Ah TWD... you could have had a small network there... a slow one maybe what with all the older bits and bobs? I've got a few ideas for testing this RM driver and the rest but it will take time. So, while you enjoy backing up and laying track I will be sweating hoping something works for the rest of us... :-)

In the meantime I have tried a few different scenarios with the usbser.sys file and all fail with messages I shall discuss later....

An update on my use of RM with W10. I know someone else has mentioned this but I can't find the post at present. After a couple of days faultless running and after an hour or so into the 2nd session my RM announced (via pop-up) that my version of the software was not correctly licenced and would continue in evaluation mode. I can only run (well, concentrate on) two loco's at any one time so nothing altered there. All locos were still displayed in the roster but only two points would operate (as is normal in evaluation mode) but all were still showing on the plan. The word "EVALUATION" also popped onto the screen (in a very fetching tangerine colour). I checked the settings screen and the box where the licence code goes was a series of 0's. So following the time honoured IT department response I switched RM off, opened it up again, and all was back to normal. The licence code back in place, all points operating and no extraneous text on the screen. I am not sure if this event matches the other poster's expereinece and I mention this so that HRMS can have a look into it when time permits. As I say layout control is fine at present. R-

Bert 85, an interesting post.  When a new windows is released, it usually necessitates new drivers for all printers/ scanners, and the re installation of many of our programmes to the new format. I am yet to see all these product manufacturers , asking for  our contact details in order to, update them for us. I tunes for example. It is our choice  either to update or not, and accept any consequences, as a result.. Hornby asked us to wait, before rushing in. I dont see how any blame can be attributed to them., if we choose to ignore advice .I am not updating, but if i was, i would hardly expect an email from I tunes, offering me a solution to a problem, that  i caused. I spend a lot of money with them. john

John

I totally agree with you as one who jumped the gun. However it is possible that some RM users have updated to W10 and not be a follower of this forum so might be aware of the issues. Some response from HRMS we therefore seem appropriate even if only to say things will be fixed but no timescale currently available.

Just for information. I looked up the USBSER driver in another windows 8.1 machine it was 5 .12600.7 dated 06/12/12.within device manager on my windows 10 I was able set this version up as it was available on file. Didn't change anything RM still not handshaking so I simply updated the driver and it returened to the previously loaded version 5.12600.8

@AC - I've just checked my laptop.

Winver says Version 10.0 (build 10240).

usbser.sys is v10.0.10240.16401 and dated 03/08/2015 18:21, Copyright Microsoft. So significantly newer than yours. Looks like Microsoft may have already released an updated driver?

@RDS

At the moment I can't answer that. As mentioned on Page 9 I loaded a copy of Railmaster on my laptop on 4th Aug and Railmaster - Elink worked fine. I then unistalled railmaster because it was just a test and my 'real' Railmaster runs on a Win7 desktop which I wont be upgrading for at least 6 months! Of course having only looked at the version of usbser.sys today I cant say which version was installed on the 4th Aug (but best guess is an older version). As soon as i get a moment I'll re-load Railmaster on the laptop and give it another go. 

Most of you will by now be aware of my suspicions over windows 10. My son, who is disabled, with ms, and wheelchair bound, turned on his laptop this morning, and windows 10 downloaded. He had apparently ticked some box at some point, without realising. After download, as wifi, and other things did not work, he went through proceedure of returning to windows 7. His laptop, is now a brick. No mouse, no keyboard, and no way of making them work. Apparently, toshiba laptops have a partition, which windows 10 has corrupted. As you can imagine he is distraught. He does not have an original windows 7 home premium, as it came preloaded, and all his family pictures are stuck inside this machine. Long range  consoling, has done nothing to improve his pain. Where we go from here, i dont know, but i posted this as a warning, to those, who are jumping the gun. beware. john

Poliss, no, when new, you are supposed to make one, but i think it slipped through the net. Mine did not either, but it offered to produce one , which i duly accepted. My lad is not very computer literate, not all know. john

It may be possible to get it working without a recovery disk by pressing either the '0' key or 'F12' when turning it on as described on this website. http://crashcloud.com/how-to-reset-a-toshiba-laptop-back-to-factory-settings/

Might work, might not. There may be other solutions, but that's the one I found on an interweb search.

You can also order recovery disks from Toshiba, but they're not free.

Sorry to hear about your lad's laptop, John. Let's hope you get it sorted for him soon.

I wonder if the same applies to my Samsung 2 partitioned hard disk notebook (small laptop) on which I run RM? Another reason not to risk things with that when it's not really necessary?

Poliss, hi, thanks, we are looking at that,but without working keyboard, at the moment, just makes pinging noise. Recovery disc is £30, but success, not guaranteed. still, we are gentling trying to massage some life back into it. john

Archived