Railmaster with Elite.

I have just purchased an Elite as I find it the best way to control locos.

I have the Railmaster set up for my Railroad TTS Flying Scotsman from the loco menu, but find the speeds too low if I use the computer. If I use the Elite, the throttle on the computer follows and the speeds seem more correct.

If you use the Elite, does that mean you shouldn't use the computer for speed control?

I don't recall a problem using the e-link.

WD,

Railmaster uses 'scale speeds', Elite does not. Hence the difference. With eLink it was always 'scale speeds' in use (default) as eLink doesn't have any physical control knobs, so there would be no difference for you to notice. If you don't like using 'scale speeds' in RM you can switch it OFF in the 'System Settings' window. Alternatively, you can adjust the speeds individually for each loco in the 'Loco Settings' window for each particular loco. There are two boxes called 'Cruising Speed' and 'Shunting Speed', editing the speed values here can affect how the loco reacts on the track.

See also Pages 34 and 137 in the V1.57 RM Manual for more information on using 'Scale Speeds'.

Further to my last post above.

WD, I noticed on another thread you stated your Elite (after firmware upgrade) restarted in 'Classic Mode'. When used in conjunction with RM, the Elite functions best in 'Standard Mode'. If you haven't done it already, may I suggest you configure it to 'Standard Mode'. Instructions are in the Elite Manual on Page 67, see also Page 9

Thanks for your replies.

My issue is that the Flying Scotsman TTS scale speeds, as supplied are far too slow on the RM.

If I use the RM slider to 80mph, the loco speed is way too slow. If, however, I use the elite knob to increase speed to 80mph on the RM screen, it looks correct.

The e-link is the same as the Elite, too slow.

The Elite is on standard mode.

ps. I have just tried another Hornby loco Sir Pelleas, using its RM settings.

This also seems slow to me.

Maybe scale 80mph is not as fast as I thought it would be.

Most locos out of the box run much faster then their true scale speeds so RailMaster does indeed slow some down quite dramatically, however these speeds are scale speeds, so 76 times slower (for OO gauge) and 148 times slower (for British N scale) than the real thing for example.  Also, it can be quite surprising what the real life maximum speed of a loco was (especially steam) and we do a lot of research on this before setting a built-in profile.

You can switch off scale speed operation in Settings (although that would defeat the object of realism) and thos would mimick the speed as controlled by the Elite (which uses 127 speed steps rather than MPH).  You should ensure that you have set the correct system scale in settings and also selected the correct loco that you have (if Hornby preferably by its R number) from RailMaster's built in list otherwise it may run differently.

You can also re-profile any loco's scale speed operation quite simply.  Just read the RailMaster PDF guide on your Windows desktop on how to do this.

I have done some further tests.

I measured my outer track, and worked out to simulate 80mph the loco would do it in about 15 seconds.

My Flying Scotsman takes 25 seconds.

I reprogrammed to two other Hornby Flying Scotsman  locos, still of course using this TTS model.

In both cases the loco took about 15 seconds.

The TTS programme must be incorrect and there should not be the need to correct it.

I also tried to adjust the speed of the latest Bachmann V2 using the correction factor. The cruising speed seems about right now, but the shunting speed is way too fast. Any ideas?

Archived