TTS Class 37 Replacement Speaker

pendeenpete

Hi everyone,just had my banana returned from Hornby with a replacement sound system,ran ok then speaker blew.

Really don't want to send it back again,and would like to fit a better speaker,does anyone have a recommendation for one that will definitely fit.

The old one is 28mm 8ohm 1w.

Thanks for your time

Thanks for that howbiman,being a patient type,I've gone for a mega bass one from dcc supplies.

The Hornby one didn't fit that well,as reported by a few people.

If it fits ok,I will post,as I think a few people have considered changing the speaker.

This one has a deeper dimension than the original might have to resort to blue tac.

Just received my 28mm 8ohm mega bass speaker from dcc supplies, now fitted and working

Couple of points,had to use blue tac as a sort of well as this speaker has rather large terminals,(which are not polarity marked),so doesn't fit in the original aperture, and is 2w rather than 1w of the original.

It has a much deeper tone,and is louder,so have turned the engine sounds cv161 down to 2 instead of 4. I think it sounds much more like a real loco.

Hope this may help if you are thinking of changing the speaker

Now hoping the 2w won't cause any problems

Just received my 28mm 8ohm mega bass speaker from dcc supplies, now fitted and working

Couple of points,had to use blue tac as a sort of well as this speaker has rather large terminals,(which are not polarity marked),so doesn't fit in the original aperture, and is 2w rather than 1w of the original.

It has a much deeper tone,and is louder,so have turned the engine sounds cv161 down to 2 instead of 4. I think it sounds much more like a real loco.

Hope this may help if you are thinking of changing the speaker

Now hoping the 2w won't cause any problems

Nice to see the outcome, especially successful. I can put your mind at rest on both points: 1. If only fitting a single speaker the polarity is irrelevent. It's only relevent where you have two or more speakers, and even then it doesn't matter as long as they are all conneced the same. 2. The 2w printed on the speaker is the power rating of what it can handle. Given the old one was rated at 1w, then the new one would handle twice the power. But assuming 1w was OK, this means the output of the decoder is less than 1w, half of what your new speaker could accomodate. So it's all good!

Thanks Michael for the reassurance

this particular loco has driven me to distraction with its annoying habit of sitting playing the brake release sound and not moving.

Hornby eventually agreed to fit a new decoder,but it still does it,so have given up. 

When the original speaker blew,it was nearly the final straw.

The new speaker has made me feel a a bit better

Pete

Archived