Windows 10 Upgrade

.....................they may have a look at my machine on-line in order to sort the problem, well time will tell and it might even help bring a solution to others ! 

John,

Are you actively trying to get HRMS to connect to your computer to investigate?

Ray

I did but they wouldn't play ball, in the end have gone back to Windows 8.1 and every thing works as it should !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mecken - if you click on the Windows icon [bottom of screeen on left] and then settings you will see a new window that has somewhere in it "Update and ...." click that and you will see where to get the rollback organised. It is much quicker than the update. I have already rolled back so I don't have this view still available to give you the full wording of "Update &..." but it should be clear to see. R-

Why did the delete button go away?

No sure there was ever a delete button was there? You could take all text out and post a box of emptiness [no doubt that will lead to further comment] I suppose. R-

Quick question

I have the handshake problem and keep coming back to read the forum for a solution but as yet it looks like no definate solution exists.

If I roll back to 8.1 where everthing worked fine, when a solution is found can I get 10 back free of charge as I prefer it to 8.1 as an operating system.

Steve

I'm sure this will turn out to be a stupid question, but if everything works fine with whatever operating system you have, why "upgrade" to Windows Ten? I recently had a little icon pop-up on my task bar telling me I can upgrade to W10 for free. Why would I? I still have Windows 7 and it does just fine. I don't want to give myself problems!

I upgraded because windows 8.1 was not very good and I found it difficult to use. My desktop was dual boot with xp and 7 but unfortuatly it died so I bought a new laptop which had 8.1 pre installed. My laptop has a touch screen so is great to use with railmaster. If laptop had been windows 7 I probably woudn't have upgraded. I am pretty sure the problems will be sorted in due course otherwise railmaster will come to an end as all new pc's and laptops will now have 10 preinstalled.

I'm sure this will turn out to be a stupid question, but if everything works fine with whatever operating system you have, why "upgrade" to Windows Ten?

Like you my Desktop PC is Windows 7 and it is stable, works with all my current attached devices. I am really reluctant to upgrade for these very reasons. There is only one compelling reason to upgrade I can think of, and that is 'end of support' dates. Based on current Microsoft documentation, Windows 7 goes 'end of support' in 2020. Upgrading 'free' to Windows 10 would extend Microsoft support for several years past that date (2028??). I will probably upgrade at some time during the 12 month free period, but not until next spring at the earliest.

By the time Windows 10 goes 'end of support' I shall probably be of a mind to upgrade my PC to latest hardware technology anyway.

PS - I use a dedicated Win 8.1 Laptop for RM. My Win 7 Desktop is my main daily use PC and critical to me to be faultless in function.

As most of you will know we have been working hard with the hardware manufacturer and others to resolve the issue of eLink connection problems which have affected a minotiry if users who upgraded to Windows 10 (and a handful of users of Windows 8.1).

Without being over-optimistic we may have a fix and so would those users who have experienced eLink communications problems please email us at support@rail-master.com and let us know so that we can provide instructions on what you can do to try the fix.

AC I love the way you say 'one small point' then fill a whole side of A4. I hope you never have a lot to say. Keep it up though, I'm sure you have helped many with their problems. 

Yeah... well spotted WTD... I did mean to give a shorty as they say but went on to give a streaming biography of all things whatever!

When I posted it and looked back at it I thought what you did... but let it go thinking it wouldn't be noted lol :-)

But as I have been caught I will try not to deliver such silly statements in future... :-)

The only difference is that the USB no longer disconnects itself and no pop up from windows saying its not recognised but still fails handshake.

Was it the physical handshake Steve or the fact that the DCC Controller shows up inactive when hovering over the icon at top right of the RM screen? Or is the message showing when you try to read CV's etc? Either way this is beyond the handshake as this shows the eLink as recognised by Windows and the driver is showing in Device Manager as it should. If the latter is the case and it is not recognising the driver in order to complete the handshake then the problem is a tad larger as it seems most problems are concerning the inactive controller...

I have now correctly downloaded the latest version of 1.62 beta having previously followed HRMS insturctions to set new elink software and additional line to ini file.. I can confirm that RM loads and works under W10. There is a however. It takes many minutes to load pausing for several seconds at various points. Last time took 5 minutes. I have reported to HRMS so hopefully they can sort this out. In the meantime I shall put up with the long load time. I have copied this to other W10 posts.

Hi John

Yes I have 2 helixes, one. OO and one N gauge. The OO one uses Radius 2 and 3 curves. so about 1100mm in size. The N gauge one fits inside . I must try and post a picture so you can see what I mean. The height clearance is tight but works OK and the slope is OK as long as your trains are not too long. The one I bought came with glue to stick everything together but I thought I might need to change things so bought some nuts and bolts and used those so I can dismantle it easily if I need to. I would certainly recommend this method so that you can change things if you need to. Also makes it easier to move as it is quite heavy.

Archived