Windows 10 Upgrade

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John

I bought it from Model Railway Solutions. I can certainly recommend them, if you have any special requirements they are quite willing to accomodate you. Will try to get some photos set up for you to look at during the next day or so, assuming my lovely lady wife allows me enough time.

I have now correctly downloaded the latest version of 1.62 beta having previously followed HRMS insturctions to set new elink software and additional line to ini file.. I can confirm that RM loads and works under W10. There is a however. It takes many minutes to load pausing for several seconds at various points. Last time took 5 minutes. I have reported to HRMS so hopefully they can sort this out. In the meantime I shall put up with the long load time. I have copied this to other W10 posts.

Tested 1.62 beta with the firmware up date and modified ini file yesterday and everything worked fine on both windows 7 and 10. I have since done a clean install of windows 10 (after reformatting the hard disk) installed AVG before installing RailMaster11.62 beta, RailMaster connected to the eLink without changing ini file.

For what it is worth, I can have RailMaster running on windows 10 before I have windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.1 loaded on my 4 year old PC. Although I have a feeling that as the patches are rolled out for 10 that also will slow down.

I have just tried the latest HRMS fix for the Win 10 Handshake problem.

I started by installing rm_setup162beta.exe whilst running Win 8.1. then updated the ELink firmware by running eLink008.exe. Once this process was complete I then edited the Railmaster.ini file by adding the Alternative comms=1 to the end of the script. I should mention that prior to this evolution I had not had a problem with Win 8.1 in running RM. When I ran RM on 8.1 after these changes I was pleased to find that I still had full control of Railmaster and eLink. I then went bodly forward and installed Win 10 once again and cautiously ran Railmaster. I am pleased to say that I now have full control of Railmaster with Win 10.

I would like to thank HRMS for once again providing excellent and clear support for what is becoming, in my view, a leading, if not the leading product in Railway Modelling. Furthermore, I moved from Windows to Mac for my home computing requirements some time ago due to my lack of trust in Windows, but use a dedicated Windows machine for my Model Railway needs and I am, at the moment quite impressed with Win 10.

I have today downloaded the latest version of the 1.62 beta update. The elink firmware update is now part of the update as version 1.07 and updates the elink on loading RM. I did have a slight hick up in that It stopped part way but solved this by manually loading 1.07. All is working except it still takes 5 minutes to load up including setting points and signals. It now look as though 1.62 is getting closer to a full release. Well done HRMS.

"GWR_Greg" - The 1.62 beta update should not affect the time it takes to start up RailMaster.  If anything, timings have been improved slightly.  Something else must be affecting your start-up times.  Can you try with a standard Hornby plan with no points or signals set up to see whether it is this aspect that is taking time.  You might also want to the check the points firing interval in your RailMaster.ini file. The default setting is 0.75 seconds.  The large it is the longer it takes to fire all points on start-up.

HRMS. The last time I used RM it took approx 3 minutes to load so was an improvement on the 5 minutes using the test firmware for the elink. It is the time it takes prior to setting points etc, as this is unchanged, that is the issue. I checked the latest log and I found a number of occasions where there are pauses of several seconds varying from 10 to 46 seconds. I added these up to nearly 120 seconds, the total load time was infact 172 seonds. Under W8.1 the total time was usually approx 90 seconds.

Archived