Resetting the R8427 Accessory Decoder

Keith Morden

Can you reset the R8427 Accessory Decoder once coded via the Select?

Inadvertently, I have coded two decoders starting with the same number 61. Despite attempting to overwrite one, the numbers remain as set via the SELECT.

I have reset the Select, but this has not affected the address numbers given to the Decoders.

Hi keith, welcome to the forum. One of the drawbacks with the select, is its limitations, concerning  cvs/ decoders. Until a learned man comes along, do you have a friend, or a local model shop, with   better facilities.  They would be able to help, i belive. john

Can you reset the R8427 Accessory Decoder once coded via the Select?

Inadvertently, I have coded two decoders starting with the same number 61. Despite attempting to overwrite one, the numbers remain as set via the SELECT.

I have reset the Select, but this has not affected the address numbers given to the Decoders.

Hi Keith,

I don't use a Select, I have an Elite, but from what I can tell from posts on this Forum and the Select manual, it doesn't have a seperate pair of output terminals which are used ONLY for programming loco and accessory decoders, as the Elite does. Instead, you have to disconnect the power output terminals from your main layout and connect them to a programming track - the manual describes a way of being able to switch the Select between the main layout and the programming track by means of a switch. Once you have the programming track in place, you can connect ONE R8247 decoder to it and ask the Select to program its address. By the way, the manual suggests that the address you key in to the Select should be a multiple of four e.g. 60 will give you four ports on the decoder with addresses 60, 61, 62 and 63. After the first decoder has been programmed, disconnect it from the programming track and connect the second decoder. You could the program it with address 64 for example, which will give you 4 ports on this decoder with addresses 64, 65, 66 and 67.

Once both decoders have been programmed, you can then place them near to the points to which they will be wired, then connect them to the track or DCC bus if you are using one.

Ray

Actually, Stingray, the first decoder address has to be 61 to enable 4 ports then the second decoder address would be 65.

Address 60 only enables 1 port. HB.

I was quoting from the Select manual, page 24:-

1. Press and hold “SELECT”.The LCD display will flash “LA”.

2. Enter the first address (60) on the keypad, and press “SELECT”.The red LED will flash up to seven times during

which the decoder will be accepting the command. If the LED flashes eight times, it is advisable to reprogramme the Decoder again.

3.The point/accessory is ready for use.The other outlets have been automatically coded 61, 62, 63.

Are you saying that this is not correct?

Ray

Just confirming you definitely cannot do a reset with Select. But then, having programmed an 8247 with Select doesn't make it more or less likely you can reprogram it.  Just try again until it works.

And as you've found, resetting the Select gets you nowhere.  The addresses are held in the decoder, not the controller.

Further to Stingrays messages the R8213 Hornby Select on line manual on this web site states in addition... 

Addressing Points/Accessories:

Addressing a point motor or accessory that uses a solenoid motor is very similar to addressing a locomotive.

For consistency it is advisable that the first point motor/accessory is addressed No. 60. Once addressed the other three outlets will be automatically programmed to 61, 62, 63.There after, the Accessory Decoder should be programmed in consecutive blocks of 4 (i.e 64, 67, 72, 75 etc. When programming subsequent Point Decoder ensure that other Point Decoders are disconnected from the track.

So are Hornby wrong?

Note: the On-line manual only refers to the old Hornby R8216 point decoder. There is no mention of the newer (and AFAIK now the only one available?) R8247 accessory decoder?

Well, guys, there's an anomally because the current R8247 guide PDF download today states use 61 as first address to enable 4 ports, using 60 enables only 1 port. This is also stated in the Select manual page 24 that I am reading as I type this. I could post a scanned copy if required. Maybe Hornby updated this stuff recently but I got my Select manual in 2012. HB.

/media/tinymce_upload/c2a24158e53de6af5ce2235a94043cd6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to say again, there is no reason at all to reset before reprogramming.  If you have put the wrong addresses in or the decoder has reset itself, just program the correct ones in.

And on one port not working, this has been a problem with 8247s for years, one or more ports not working, especially after a short on the layout, which can also cause them to reset and lose the addresses you programmed in.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived