Windows 10 Handshake Problem

My problem is that e-link does work, my signals light up when power is on. Railmaster works and tries to initiate, but I get a mssage to say that the handshake failed.

As far as I can tell from some conflicting information about Baud rates, the two are on the same (unshared) com port and all settings are the same.

I have tried updating drivers and all the other suggestions, but nothing has sorted the problem.

Sloop

I have experienced the handshake error with eLink after upgrading to Windows 10. The following RailMaster message is displayed "The eLink interface failed the handshake test." as RailMaster is initializing. I have followed the directions "Power down the Elink unit and remove the USB lead. Then power up the unit, wait 10 seconds, connect the USB lead and restart RailMaster.". This does not solve the issue. I have tried updating the driver, I have installed and deleted the driver prior to letting Windows download it again, this again does not provide a solution.

I also have an Elite unit which is working fine with Windows 10 so the eLink not working is not really causing an issue for me, but I imagine for those using an eLink only and experiencing the problem, this would not be the case. I guess the problem will be addressed in time.

I have experienced the handshake error with eLink after upgrading to Windows 10. The following RailMaster message is displayed "The eLink interface failed the handshake test." as RailMaster is initializing. I have followed the directions "Power down the Elink unit and remove the USB lead. Then power up the unit, wait 10 seconds, connect the USB lead and restart RailMaster.". This does not solve the issue. I have tried updating the driver, I have installed and deleted the driver prior to letting Windows download it again, this again does not provide a solution.

I also have an Elite unit which is working fine with Windows 10 so the eLink not working is not really causing an issue for me, but I imagine for those using an eLink only and experiencing the problem, this would not be the case. I guess the problem will be addressed in time.

Your not an your own, I have been having this problem for over a week.

Have reported to Hornby who then passed me on to Railmaster support, there answer is I am the only one having this problem, to me it seems I am not. So anybody with theis problem please contact Railmaster support direct. In numbers we might get somewhere.

Clive and John, please contact us directly through the Help Request system in RailMaster.

I have already done so over a week ago and the problem has still not been resolved.

Am attempting again today by e-mail with railmaster support, perhpas a phone conversation might be of use my no has been supplied in the recent e-mail.

Clive and John, please contact us directly through the Help Request system in RailMaster.

Hi ???, You have me at a disadvantage.

As Colin suggested, email support will not help in this case. I have carried out a reformat and clean instalation of windows 10, installed the latest version of railmaster it still will not run e-link. We need to beable to talk to someone who knows what they are doing who can talk us through what thet want us to do in real time.

I tried ringing support today, only to be told that I have to contact Support@rail-master.com for assistance. No phone number avaliable.

As Colin suggested, email support will not help in this case. I have carried out a reformat and clean instalation of windows 10, installed the latest version of railmaster it still will not run e-link. We need to beable to talk to someone who knows what they are doing who can talk us through what thet want us to do in real time.

I tried ringing support today, only to be told that I have to contact Support@rail-master.com for assistance. No phone number avaliable.

Email support WILL help, because it will enable HRMS to arrange a time for them to log into your computer remotely and see what's going on. Trust them to do this, they know what they are doing.

Ray

It would be good if when after doing something that they requested and reporting back to railmaster support that they would at least acknowledge your reply instead of leaving you wondering if your reply has been recieved by them.  I replied to them by 10.00am today and have heared nothing, thats 5 hrs.

A thanks and we will be in touch would be nice instead of leaving us wondering if the reply has been recieved.

Sorry but getting frustrated.

It would be good if when after doing something that they requested and reporting back to railmaster support that they would at least acknowledge your reply instead of leaving you wondering if your reply has been recieved by them.  I replied to them by 10.00am today and have heared nothing, thats 5 hrs.

A thanks and we will be in touch would be nice instead of leaving us wondering if the reply has been recieved.

Sorry but getting frustrated.

Did you email them from within the Help page in RM?  And if so, have you received the immediate automatic acknowledgement reply?  If you did and you haven't, they probably don't have your email.

I have been in regular e-mail ( 19 ) conversation with them ! For over the last week and the e-mail has been sent twice !

Email support WILL help, because it will enable HRMS to arrange a time for them to log into your computer remotely and see what's going on. Trust them to do this, they know what they are doing.

Ray

Sadly they have not done that, just given me a list of instructions which seem to contradict previous instructions about which driver to use. And, the old fall back about returning to windows 7/8. I guess that I will have to wait a few more days to find out if they are going to reply to my emails to them.

That will not be an option for future users of railmaster and elink.

Sloop, if you read the Windows 10 post, you will se the problem in now down to computer manufactures, and their Bios. What laptop do you have.  i have the feeling  this is going to take a time to fix.  i would also use the fall back option, as you have 12 months to use up on free offer. which will allow you to continue, with your trains john

Sloop, if you read the Windows 10 post, you will se the problem in now down to computer manufactures, and their Bios. What laptop do you have.  i have the feeling  this is going to take a time to fix.  i would also use the fall back option, as you have 12 months to use up on free offer. which will allow you to continue, with your trains john

I have to ask, do these computers have issues with all USB connected devices, or just RailMaster? If it's just RailMaster, then who's problem is it really?

Sorry I am being a bit facetious, but just thought I would ask!

To be fair to Hornby (rare for me perhaps), they could have just said that RailMaster was not designed to work with Windows 10 ;)

Michael A, i dont think they new about the bios changes.  in theory, as with windows 8, you could expect the odd compatabilty problem, that would have meant they could take over the laptop, as before. This is a whole new ball game. Manufacturers, will have to  be consulted, and join in, as i understand it. Not a quick fix. i dont think any blame can be attached to hornby, Microsoft, yes. this windows is different, its the start  of licencing. It does not conform to any of the previous rules . I wont go on, as will  let time  allow it to evolve. if you get a chance to look at one running, look at  all the apps, that were free, but now are leasable, word, paint shop pro, the list goes on. john

Fishy, if manufacturers  Usb systems were not working correctly, this would have been discovered long before now, as RM, would not have been only product not to work.  i am content with the bios theory.  Could be. of course, i am a tad prejudiced. john

I'm not a computer wizard but all the checks i have done in the past few days show the issue to effect some people only .. the issue is USB related and it seems that under Windows 10 some usb ports just do not work. Strange that when you roll back to windows 7 and do the elink start up sequence everything recognises and works again!  Tried upgrading and returning 5 times over the last couple of days to verify. Works under Windows 7 , but elink reports as inactive under Windows 10.  USB related not RM. Reading around it appears to effect people using other USB gadgets ... we are unfortunate that elink uses a usb interface, so some of us get caught up in this until MS do the bug fixes.  Keep with Windows 10 if the upgrade hasn't effected your USB ports, or revert back to previous if you prefer playing with trains rather than screaming at a computer screen!!!

Archived