Help - Caledonian Single (Red from 1980s?)

81F

Bought a Caley 4-2-2 in LMS red off ebay last month and am thinking of how to fit a DCC chip. Looking at the open frame motor, I would use the same method as I would for an X04 etrc. However, I cannot see much room in the boiler for the chip.

Has anyone ever fitted a standard Hornby chip to this version of Single (or even the triang type, if yes does it work and where did you put it.

Alternatively I have thought about fitting a six pin decoder (vis a harness) that I have spare. Would this work?

Or any toher suggestions

Hi 81F

I fitted a 4-2-2 Lord of the Isles (I believe it's basically the same shell) with a decoder, speaker, smoke and firebox light a while back (all in the loco).  I used the very small Zimo decoder (MX648, hard wired).  It was very tight, but doable.

The decoder fitted with black-tack at the top rear, small brick speaker just behind the chimney.  Wires down the side, again with black-tack and the smoke generator was fitted with epoxy - I had to drill out the chimney a tad.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi ,I've got the last single wheeler train pack in LMS red which might be the same as your caly ,I know it is identical to the Caledonian train pack in blue which are from perhaps the last 10 years or so ,but regarding fitting a decoder I did manage to fit a r8249 but with the greatest of difficulty and after breaking one ,as you say there isn't much room in the boiler ,,,,,

Archived