Windsor Castle DCC Fitted from China

Forcryingoutoud

Hope someone can help here....

I bought a Hornby loco and from the start it would not allow me to reprogram the address '3' so decided I would have to look at it in the not to distant future....Well future is here and now it won't even run.

Chip problem methinks. So I removed the chip and decided to check the motor on DC. Motor runs but not fast ( Ringfield) Loco Drive. In fact it runs rather slow.

So I removed the motor and dissambled it...What did I find? A part of the armature had 'come off' and stuck itself to the windings...The green stuff holding the windings in. Now I wonder is this causing the motor to run slow? And how/why did it happen in the first place.....Not even a 5 pole motor just a 3.....

The Windsor Castle loco was from  a set....

Any ideas or would pics help?

Thanks in advance

Paul

from what you are writing i think the magnets on your ringfield have degraded, you may have to replace them ,

first off give the commutator a good clean and undercut the commutator ,a craft knife will do this (but you will be informed of at least another five devices that will do it), re-assemble the motor and test ,

source some magnets from somewhere like peters spares ,

why ?  magnets degrade with time ,there is vidieos on you tube how to "re-charge a magnet"

there are lots of dcc fitted locos with this problem , the source of your loco is a well known stream of them .

better to save the pennies and buy modern stock ?

have fun

Thanks for the reply. Didn't realise that magnets could degrade. I have a 40 year old Castle tender drive running brilliantly.

I would have thought that the DCC Fitted Castle from China WAS a modern one. I did not expect a Ringfield motor. Maybe it was an Airfix moulding etc in the guise of Hornby. 

Thanks for the input.

Paul

Archived