Duchess of Montrose Sound Functions

Royboy43

Hi to you all

I have just joined Forum as I have recently set up a DCC layout and have bought an engine  Duchess of Montrose. I have put it on track in its default no. 003 and it runs ok.

however I am unsure how to get the sound functions working I have the layout controlled by the Hornby Elite controller.

can any kind member suggest how I can overcome thi problem

Many Thanks Roy

Roy, as this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

You have to turn the sounds ON for the loco first. With the loco selected i.e the Elite display showing (in your case) 003. Press the 'Function' button followed by the '1' button on the Elite. You should then hear the loco steam hissing sound. The loco sound will 'chuff' as the loco moves off. Note that there is usually a delay before moving off after the Elite control knob is turned. This is quite normal and is due to the loco sounds having to be synchronised to the loco movement by the decoder.

It's all in the manual if you take the time to read it.

All the loco 'Function' options are listed on your R2989xs instruction sheet (assuming the R2989xs is your Duchess of Montrose loco). F1 as described above is the general 'Sound On/Off' toggle. Other function buttons trigger other sounds. For example F3 might possibly be the loco whistle. Note: as your Elite is already in 'Function' mode because you pressed the 'Function' button earlier to initiate F1, you only have to press the '3' button to trigger F3. Note also, that the Functions are toggles, so after you have sounded the whistle you have to press 3 again to disengage it (assuming in this example that F3 is the whistle).

Note also: pressing the 'Function' button the first time gives you functions F0 to F9. Press the 'Function' button again for F10 to F19 and again for F20 and above. Pressing 'Function' again exits function mode. Pressing again goes back to F0 to F9 and so on. To select for example F13, press 'Function' twice followed by number '3'.

The 'Functions' that have been triggered 'ON' are shown in the bottom row of the Elite LCD display. So you can keep track of which sound functions need to be switched off again so that they can be played again later.

Once you are happy with the operation and control of the loco, you need to change the default 003 address to something else so that it doesn't clash with the next DCC loco you purchase. See how to do this in the manual.

Archived