USB - rj12connection of the select unit to a PC for control

kevan_adams

My question is to the forum is, can i use USB - rj12connection of the select unit to a PC for control, i have noticed that on the back of the select unit you use an RJ12 to connect to an Elite unit. can i use this same jack to connect via a usb connector to the Pc.

many thanks

Kevan

My question is to the forum is, can i use USB - rj12connection of the select unit to a PC for control, i have noticed that on the back of the select unit you use an RJ12 to connect to an Elite unit. can i use this same jack to connect via a usb connector to the Pc.

many thanks

Kevan

No.

If you try it you will probably damage the Select or the PC or both.  Don't do it.

I have noticed that on the back of the select unit you use an RJ12 to connect to an Elite unit. can i use this same jack to connect via a usb connector to the PC.

The RJ12 on the rear of the Select is an ExpressNet interface and completely different to USB.

As an analogy your question is a bit like asking can I connect my water supply pipe to my gas pipe. Yes they can be made to physically mate together via an adapter, but passing water through the gas pipes is not going to be very good for any attached gas appliances.

Just to clarify, what is the purpose of this RJ12 output on the Select?  As an aside, Windows is now so powerful, if a PC recognises a Select as some form of device, I would expect Windows to search high and low for any software needed.  Don't try it unless you have a disposable Select and PC, but it would be interesting to hear a result...

The RJ12 connector allows the Select to be used as a walkabout controller.  The Select will be a slave controller when it is connected to an Elite, the Elite will always be the master but a Select can also be used as a slave unit when connected to another Select.  In this case, any one of Selects can be designated as the master.

An alternative use of the RJ12 connector is to connect a power and signal booster.

Archived