Any sign of the New version?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... new version with all locos included ...

As far as I am aware, new Loco's can be added without waiting for a new version and this happens automatically (assuming you are connected to the internet) when you start up RailMaster.

You can certainly enter new locos, cos i have done it, on account of lack of internet access. john

Sorry John, I didn't mean that.  I was trying to say that the list of Loco's within RailMaster is updated automatically via the internet.  I realise that you can add your own at any stage.

As somebody caught up in the e-link/railmaster not talking to each other whilst the Elite does talk, I can confirm that Hornby are being very active in trying to sort the problem out. I can also understand why they have not put the update on general release so that the problem can be solved and those not on the forum with the problem will get the problem solved with the expected update.  Sorry if that was a bit long winded but patience is a vertue sadly missing today.

You're right Johnde... patience IS a virtue and sadly, as you state also, lots of folk don't seem to have it. I am not referring to members on here but the world over.

A second beta test was handed out and I can confirm, from my own point of view, that the connection to the eLink was made with this new 'fix' but alas all reading of CV's and instructions to loco's were lost. It was a case of being very similar to loss of power to both programming and main track. This involved a program update to RailMaster, an added line to its .ini file and a firmware update to the eLink.

I have reported back my findings and will roll back the firmware once I find the time to do so.

The process of the firmware update went well and I tested the RM software on TWO versions of Win 10... one a fresh install of the OS with no added software except all MS updates and another on a laptop upgraded from Win 8.1.

On both machines the eLink showed up as active but no loco's running or being read. :-(

This should be pretty simple to sort hopefully.

Interestingly my testing of the second beta went smoothly with the e-link connecting and locos operating and points switching! all reported back. Unfortunately due to work commitments I wasn't able to do any long term testing and I understand anyway that that particular beta was not expected to be absolutely fully functional, just a proof of concept with the new ini file setting that communication with the elink was possible, so from that perspective a success. 

I likewise tried the latest fix. RM was very erratic in loading taking on one occasion 9 minutes. I lost the resource file and had to reload from a back up file. All reported to support. Now back to 8.1.

Out of interest Greg when going back to win 8.1 have you kept the link to download win 10 in order to try out any Hornby fixes or do you go through the whole windows wait for the download again.

If anyone wants to make an install disk of Windows 10 then here's a link to download the tool to do it.

Follow the on screen instructions at this Microsoft page for both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Making a disk will save you having to download the files every time. It can be used for clean installs plus upgrades.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Be aware that you must have a key for clean installs but if upgrading you don't require one.

Each time you roll back you reset the 30 day timer for the limitations paced.

PJ, you do realize i am sure that you have 12 months before you  have to make your windows 10 decision, and to use your trains you will need to roll back, in the short term, as many have done, until HRMS solve the present probs. I would hate to think  of you not being able to signal. john

Hello John

From what I have read it appears not all have experienced problems. On that basis and that I have not had any problems on any machine after installing Windows 10, I felt it worth continuing.

I also knew that I would have Windows 10 in my machine at least 4 weeks before trying to reconnect RM, sufficient time to know that Windows 10 was stable before adding RM. 

Ths means, to me, Windows 10 has had time to prove itself with all the other software in my computer, and there is loads of 3rd party software in the machine. It will be interesting, I think, after this period to see if I have any problems when RM is connected again. I am hoping this will be in the next 7 days but as you know I have to wait for others to lay it down again for me. 

Time will tell John. I have more confidence with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 than I had in the past with Windows 95, 98 and Millenium Edition. 

I do look forward to being able to play with my trains again and try my TTS Class 47 for the first time since I purchased it earlier in the year.

No problem Johnde...

Has anyone had any feedback from support about the latest update? I fear not although it's not a problem really. It'll simply mean they are still working behind the scenes trying to fix this.

I have both an eLink and Elite and they have both been doing an impression of a brick since i upgraded to windows 10 on day one. I was given a fix yesterday by support and am happy to say that the eLink is now fully functional and indeed connects first time every time which is something it did not do before. The Elite whilst now trying to connect is still not there but is at least showing signs of life.

Pj, thats the reason i mentioned it, i knew you had a new toy. I think you are mis informed about problems, i know of nobody who can run elink, with windows 10 yet.. It is only, we hope a matter of time. Windows 7, was very good, i never had 8, nor will i have 10.. The only problem apart from RM, with windows 10, would have been printer drivers, but they are gettable. I only raised my caution, as i know how much you are into your hobby, and roger and AC, both rolled back temporarily, so they play.. I am one of the fortunate ones, with my Elite, and windows 7, am playing trains. john

At risk of sending us down a rabbit hole - Dell support assist (whatever that is - but it sounds medical) have just issued a BIOS update, which I have run. I have passed this info to HRMS and AC [with relevant code numbers] and will await instructions / advice / yet more support - ohhhh errr! R-

Archived