select and elite

samg03

Covered in Elite manual page 69 - extract pasted below

XpressNet Connection

Eight Hornby Walkabout Select units may be connected to the Elite using the ExpressNet socketswhich will allow for individual control of up to 10 locomotives. See page 72 for further informationre connecting "walkabouts" to the Elite.

Correction to this page for R8237 description required. Hornby have not updated this page. It references R8236 connecting lead. This lead has been replaced by the R8266 when using it for use as a Walkabout connection lead. This change of product code has been well discussed and documented previously on this forum. The R8266 currently available on pre-order only on Hornby site, but pattern clones available on e-bay if can't wait

A Select Walkabout is a Select without the 1AMP Power Supply included in the box. Plus the box includes a Walkabout connecting lead (see last point made at very bottom of this reply). It is purely a different box "packaging" option made by Hornby. So although the Select Walkabout has a different Hornby stock code number R8235, the controller unit itself is identical to the Select R8213 product.

The R8235 does not currently feature in the Hornby on-line shop. I believe Hornby have discontinued this Select option. Thus you would either need to track down old stock on suppliers shelves, or buy the full R8213 product and discard the Power Supply.

Note: When using the Select as a Walkabout controller it gets its power through the connecting R8266 lead. If you connect the mains power pack to a Select in Walkabout mode, it will not work. As I understand it, it senses that the power supply input is missing and power is now coming through the R8266 lead as the trigger to put the Select in Walkabout mode. If the mains power supply is connected to the Select, it can't do this mode detection.

There are users on here using Select as Walkabouts, there are others on here who always advise against it. I'm just sitting on the fence and just answering your questions as you have asked them. If I was pressed for a view, I think I would fall into the advise against it camp.

But be aware that I believe early stocks of Select Walkabouts with older firmware had issues. If you find old stocks of R8235s still on suppliers shelves, you may have to send them off to Hornby to have the firmware updated if you experience problems. The latest Select firmware upgrade by Hornby will cost £15 per unit, plus one way (sending out) delivery charge (£15 upgrade charge provided by Hornby in a previous post on this forum).

Also note that some supplies of old stock R8235s may have the older R8236 connecting lead in the box, instead of the newer replacement R8266 lead. It is easy to tell the difference. The R8236 is a 'flat' profile cable. The R8266 is a 'round' profile cable.

The thing to remember when using a Select as a walkabout on Elite is that whatever you are controlling is subject to Select performance limitations, quite different throttle response between the two and issues with differing point numbering depending on the Select firmware version.  If you can live with that, it will be fine.  If not, bottom drawer is the best option I can think of for a Select.

I agree with you the Select has too many limitations but no other manufacturers walkabout controller works with the Elite so I use it even though I would rather have 4 digit addresses for my locos I am stuck with two digit untill someone comes up with a better walkabout controller.

What I find as strange is the Elite claims to follow the ExpressNet protocol but a controller such as the NCE Procab will not work.

As I understand it from reading the JMRI page, Hornby's DCC controllers only partially follow XpressNet protocols.

The NMRA, which is supposed to define standards, didn't define any for a cab bus, feedback bus or control bus, so you have to check the manufacturers pages, or search the internet, to see whether something will be compataible with your current system.

Some are described here.

http://sumidacrossing.org/LayoutControl/ControlBus/ 

Certain DCC controllers have ports for many types of buses.

Archived