Elite behaviour

PeterR

I have been trying to use an Elite controller to program a Digikeijs DR4024 servo controller. I managed to (seemingly) complete the  Elite firmware upgrade on a laptop running Windows 10 without any problem. The unit starts up correctly with the correct display. What I haven't been able to do is set a DCC ID for the DR4024 unit, although I could initially set up the servos. Now I am unable to do anything; I can't read or write any CVs or the unit address on the DR4024; all I get in response is 'XXX'. The DR4024 was hard wired to the Elite. Anyone got any ideas? I can't factory reset the DR4024 because I don't seem to have the ability to write CVS. 

Peter, hi, welcome to the forum. I seem to recall that others who tried windows 10, with the elite, were unable to write cvs also. I think you will find that on the windows 10 thread. There have also been problems with updating the Elite, again you will find that on the updating Elite post. When you turn on Elite, does it read out correct upgrade. You have i remember to change the mode back, as it reverts. I dont remember what to, but it is on recent post by Chrissaf. john

When I turn the Elite on it seems to start up OK and it does say V1.42. Originally it started up in 'classic' mode and I changed that to standard. We do, luckily, have one PC in the house that is windows 7, so I could try to do the upgrade again using that. I have asked support if they can email me the 1.41 firmware, just in case. I just hope the DR4024 isn't corrupted beyond redemption, although it isn't too expensive to replace. 

Peter, look at the ELITE Update, 1.42, post, on p 2, there is a post by Icurus, how to update, with windows 7 machine. I dont think your windows 10  is able to do this, at this time. Read the afore mentioned, there were a lot of problems. For what the update contained, it was not worth the effort. Many of us stayed with 1.41. Will it not go back there. if you reset.. I dont know enough about that to recommend it as a solution. john

This may sound a little strange, but I bought the Elite at least 5 years ago and this was the first time out of its box. I bought it for my sons who have a layout in their bedroom. The only problem with that is the eldest one is now 24 and the younger one doesn't really have much interest in modelling. He likes running it, but not building it. So, the rest of the story goes like this... while we were away on holiday, my wife picks up the RM I bought along. She likes what she sees, and I find myself planning an N gauge layout to fit in two drawers just for her. Then I remember I have the Elite at home, and 'I can use that. Save me a bit of money...'. Manual missing when I open the box, so off to the Hornby website to download a replacement. There I notice 'Latest Firmware v1.42' so coming from a computer background - I now work for Network Rail - I think 'the latest version MUST be better than what is on there now', so I do the upgrade.  Anyway, after referral to the post you mention, I have asked No 2 son to have a go at the upgrade; it can't be any worse than what is on there now. Otherwise I will have to wait until I get home. Following that I will probably go back to my normal, conventionally powered O gauge modelling.

Peter, I know this won't help fully but if the Elite reads 142 on startup then the upgrade has worked and you don't need to do it again.  The fact it switched to Classic mode is further proof and you are right to have switched it back to Standard. 

Tell us us more about how you are trying to program the unit. Are you following the instructions on page 13 of the unit's manual?  In particular, are you correctly only trying to program it to 9 or 17 or 25 etc.

also, if you have been unable to program it, it should still be on the default of 1 with the outputs on 1-8.  Have you tried to operate it on these addresses?

I assumed the DR4024 would work in DCC mode, not Motorola mode, therefore I tried to set it to address 60 (you only need to set multiples of 8 boundary numbers if using Motorola protocol - it says for DCC you can give it any number). 'LOCO' address 60 that is. I followed the DR4024 instructions, however step 3 on the  instruction 'press and HOLD the programming switch until the red light comes on' didn't work even when I held it for 2-3 minutes. As soon as you release the button the red light comes on. The red light is supposed to go out once it has a valid address. It didn't. Reading back the address I get XXX instead of a number, so not even 001 as the default. To reset the DR 4024 you need to write 8 into CV8; there is no flash of the module led. Again, trying to read back any CVs - and there are quite a few to read - every one I try I get XXX as the value. When the DR unit receives a valid code when the programming led is on, it blinks. I only managed to get it to do this when I was aligning the servos. That seemed to work fine. However, any read or write request doesn't seem to flash the led and I still can't read any CVs off the DR4024 or get the servos to operate using the function buttons. Even when I use 9999 as the address (following the instructions for the servos alignment procedure) I can't get the servos to move at all (they are supposed to centre).

My wife also text me to say that the Elite won't connect to the windows 7 PC at home saying 'Error in comm link'. I will have to see for myself when I get home. I have had similar problems with a PICAXE programming lead and the com port, but that worked straight away on Windows 10. 

On the DR4024, power and signal are connected together (red to left hand on each connector, black to the right hand on each connector) and the single pair of wires go into track on the back of the Elite.  In other words, no,  it isn't connected like you suggest. When I get home, I will try connecting it like you suggest; track to power, and prog to signal and see what happens. In my defence, the way I have it connected is how it says to connect it in the DR4024 instructions. 

I have just spent 2 hours trying the DR4024 with the Elite connected as suggested. Signal on the module to program on the Elite & power on the module to track on the Elite. I can report that I have had no success in reading CVs or the module address with it connected this way either. I will try to upgrade the Elite tomorrow again or see if support can send me v1.41 firmware. Failing that it looks like I will need a z21; at least it is on the supported control units list...

All I was doing was reading from the manual too.  It's clear there that both should be connected to track to program the base address, with the other 7 outputs then serially above the base address.

It's unclear exactly how to read and write CVs though.  Clearly signal must be connected to Elite program output, not track, try connecting power to that too and see if it works.

Does the Elite work to run locos and any other accessory decoders?

Also, not working on the W7 machine sounds like a driver or a comm port problem. Make sure you have it set to the port Device Manager shows the driver on for a start.

Reading the manual it seems to me that both the power and signal inuts to the DR4024 should be connected to the Elite track output. Then you need to use the Programming on the Main (POM) mode on the Elite. I've used this on a couple of loco chips, but whilst it set the CV correctly (confirmed in Railmaster) I didn't get any readout.

AM

I will give the Elite a go with a locomotive just to check that it is working. As I mentioned above, it was straight out of the box having been bought a number of years ago. If that doesn't work, I'll try redoing the firmware.

No criticism implied Fishmanoz; it is all very frustrating for me. I normally model in 7mm scale, and because of the extent of the layout I am involved in, it is strictly analogue... I am grateful for any help/experience that can be passed on.

Further update... I have just tried the Elite in normal operation with a Class 153 fitted with a Lenz Silver decoder. I can change the address, F0 works (lights), and the unit moves with the track connected to 'Track'. With the track connected to 'Prog' I can change and read the decoder address, and I can also read CV1 (which returns '015' - the decoder ID). It seems to be working correctly. I am going to try supplying the DR4024 with a straight 12v DC supply to 'power' to see if it makes any difference.

The straight DC supply made no difference; I can still adjust the servo positions, but I still don't seem to be able to set an id or read/write CVs. The only thing I can think of doing is trying to set a controller id on the 8 +1 boundary.

Latest update, and 'Hurrah!' it now works!!!!

The straight DC supply may be a slight red herring, but the Elite works fine (despite being upgraded using Windows 10). The 'programming on the main' requirement in the DR4024 instructions does not work with the Elite. What I had to do was swap the 'signal' wires to 'Prog' on the Elite to program the CVs and address, use 'Track' for the servo set-up and operating, and the biggest 'Doh!' moment is... 'What is a DR4024'? 'Why, it is an ACCESSORY DECODER, you twit'. So despite using a LOCO address of 9999 to set up the servo positions, you use an ACC address to make it work (using the 'Track' output), AND ADDRESS THE CVs (using the 'Prog' output). So you call the relevant accessory address (1-4, as I didn't want to push my luck too much) and pressing in the rotary controllers on each side moves the relevant servo position. I feel very foolish, right about now...

Peter, I'm running out of ideas to help.  It certainly seems to me you've proved the Elite is working, the problem is the DR4024.

A final suggestion though:  connect both power and signal of the DR4024 to track and run RM via the Elite.  Now set up some port numbers in RM using any accessory decoder you like, say an 8247 - you'll need 2 for the 8 outputs. Follow the DR4024.manual to set port numbers and see if you can now operate them via RM.  if so, you've done it.

If not, email RM Support from within the Help window of RM, tell them what you are trying to do and that it's not working, and see what they have to say.

Fishmanoz, I have got it working. See the above post; it was a combination of powering the unit from a 12v DC supply, swapping the leads between 'prog' and 'track' depending on what I was doing, and the final fact that I was an idiot for not realising that the DR4024 was an accessory decoder (despite the fact of using a loco address to set it up). Once I selected it as an accessory, I was able to set up the CVs and the unit address, and I have got it working by selecting one of 4 addresses, one for each servo, and pressing the control buttons (the switched outputs are paired with each servo using the relevant CV on the base address). It works quite nicely and it can be fine tuned on installation. Thanks for your suggestions.

Great, Peter, glad you got it working.

And just on loco and accessory decoder addresses, they are the same in the numbers you use, the difference is whether you are using them in a loco or accessory decoder.  They are only different using a Select, where they are separated by being under or over 60, not the case for other controllers though.

Archived