Matt(ish) Black Acrylic

Hi all,

Quick question... i noticed my matt black (33) when brushed adjacent to another matt colour, such as 30, looks more 'satin' than matt.

It's certainly supposed to be matt... Am I going mad? Or is this a natural effect of the pigment or something...?

I don't think this is unique to Humbrol paints. Most 'matt' colours seem to have a faint 'eggshell' finish to them. I think part of the problem, though I don't know and could be talking absolute balderdash, is that  the 'matter' the paint, the rougher the surface has to be. The smoother the finish of the paint, the glossier as it reflects more light in one plane (as it were). The matter the paint the rougher the finish - a rough finish bounces reflected light all over the place. So, my guess is that modelling matt paints are a compromise between a rough-to-matt finish, if that makes sense. You can have a beautifully matt finish but sand another model with it, for instance!

Some acrylic paint ranges contain a matting agent which, being a neutral colour, can be mixed with any of that range and flattensthe colour more. Indeed you could add it to a gloss paint colour and end up with it in matt. However, as with all paints, there is no skimping on stirring it before use. Improperly stirred paint can streak horribly and a matt can come out glossy.

I don't know how matt you want the matt to be but I certainly take your point that sometimes it can be disappointing to see that eggshell finish when you do want a matt finish.

Thanks David  - I guess it makes sense that some colour require a matting agent, and so some will come out more 'matt' than others. I'd be OK if all were the same, but to have a matt blakc next to a matt green and them both to have different levels of 'mattness' was a bit weird. I do shake and stir as per the instructions, getting all lumps off the bottom of the pot.

Time to get that matt varnish out, i guess!

One route is to use a matt varnish layer. I spray gloss varnish totake the decals and then, if needed, spray matt varnish before applying a final coat of satin to give a smooth look.

Humbrol matt varnish is ok but Army Builder Anti-Shine gives a really good matt finish which you can either keep or over coat. This has another advantage of evening out the finish across the whole model regardless of underlying colour.

Hi all,

Quick question... i noticed my matt black (33) when brushed adjacent to another matt colour, such as 30, looks more 'satin' than matt.

It's certainly supposed to be matt... Am I going mad? Or is this a natural effect of the pigment or something...?

This can be the matting agent separating from the mixture. Try giving it a jolly good stirring as your first option.

Archived