Frog Juicer

Nick_

Nick,

When you say 'Frog Juicer' do you mean the product made by Tam Valley, I assume you do as 'Frog Juicer' is a term Tam Valley use in their marketing information.

OK assuming a Tam Valley product. I use their FJ products and can give advice. There is a link on the PCB to select the triggering current. This is either 1.8 amps (2 amp setting) or 4 amps. The F.J. is an American product so the 4 amp setting is meant for layouts that have power boosters of 5 amps or more. These are quite typical in the states. The figure of 5 amps being required for the 4 amp setting is referenced in the manual. In the UK, the 2 amp setting (actual trip current 1.8 amps) is the recommended setting.

The Hornby 1 amp power supply is NOT recommended as it is unlikely to be able to achieve the 1.8 amp trip current output required. Again, reference is made in the FJ manual in regard to low current power supplies not being suitable.

I use four Tam Valley Frog Juicers in conjunction with Hornby's 4 amp (Elite) power supply unit and in that configuration they are the 'bees knees' and 'the dogs dangly bits' all rolled into one. Mine work flawlessly without issue.

The 4 amp power supply unit can be purchased as an upgrade component with a part number P9300.

Chris,

Thanks yes I did mean the Tam Valley device. I had a suspicion that I might need to upgrade to the 4A power supply, but I wasn't certain so I just thought I see what others thought. I glad to hear that it works well for you so it looks like my next purchase will be the frog juicer and a 4A power supply.

Nick

Archived