Reading CVs

Yes Montywb, I have read CVs on a few of my locos so far, and set some too (volume on sound locos). I just put them on the programming track and let RailMaster get on with it. The CVs bit shows all 255 of them but only highlights the ones you are allowed to change. Mind you, it has to know what decoder chip is in the loco. I found if I tell it to read all 255 (1 to 255) and go off and do something else (it can take an hour) when it gets to CVs 7 and 8 then it identifies the chip and automatically unhighlights the CVs you can't change. I also have the sound 08 and I think it highlights about 20 CVs, or thereabouts. Mind you the Elite must be in "Standard" mode or CVs don't read and write correctly. I had my Elite in "Classic" mode and it didn't work at first. I should have read the manual because it says in there.

Monty - if I were you I would test several locos with DCC decoders and ensure that your Elite is hooked up at 19,200 baud (in settings and Windows control panel). You should also ensure that the firmware of the Elite is 1.3. You can see this when the unit powers up. If you get 255 on all CVs on all locos AND the Elite is set to Standard and has version 1.3 of the firmware on-board then it may just be a knackered unit. Another thing that occurs. Are you able to read CVs in Direct mode on the programming track from the Elite itself, without using RailMaster? If you still get 255 on all CVs then you definitely have an Elite problem and I would contact Hornby if I were you.

You could try a hard reset on the Elite. Can't remember how to do that but it resets all data on the unit. That may work. Failing that, you could try downloading and installing the 1.3 Elite firmware and installing it, even if you already have 1.3 on the unit. Other than that, call Hornby. They are very helpful.

I have reset the Elite, firmware is version 1.3, I have tried re-installing the firmware but all I get is "Error in open port". I've tried several different USB ports with the same result. I'll contact Hornby, thanks, Tim, for your help.

I think I have the answer for read CV problem. Old R8215 decoders read all CVs at 255.Newer R8249 decoders read corectly. I have however just changed CV1 (loco ID) on the older chip and although reading at 255 and being programed at 008 I correctly changed

this to a higher ID. this updated OK.

Archived