Restoring old enamel signs

I have a rather unusuaI possible use for Humbrol and wonder if any members have any experience or advice. I am thinking of using the enamel paints (and clear varnish) for restoring old enamel signs. These mainly 20th century signs, now very collectable, are often chipped and need repair, and would like to know if anyone has used Humbrol for this purpose? The original enamels were baked onto iron sheets. Generally, where there are chips on the signs one would probably first level the area using a car bodywork type filler, so my first question is how Humbrol would take to this type of surface? But also, would it take to a bare metal surface or would it need some special preparation? Another, simpler, type of restoration would be where the original enamel is generally OK but has become scuffed or dulled - and here I am considering using the clear varnish applied by brush? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

I understand you wanting to do this, but personally speaking I would leave well alone. For me it would be the originality, part of the sign's history and any type of restoration would completely spoil it. It might even perhaps devalue it should you ever wish to sell it on?

I'd also suggest it's a very skilled job too, depending on the damage, although I am not calling your abilities into question!

I understand you wanting to do this, but personally speaking I would leave well alone. For me it would be the originality, part of the sign's history and any type of restoration would completely spoil it. It might even perhaps devalue it should you ever wish to sell it on?

I'd also suggest it's a very skilled job too, depending on the damage, although I am not calling your abilities into question!

Thanks for the comments. I would generally agree with you and, depending on the extent of damage, I usually prefer to leave it. However, on occasion some 'improvement' does seem justified. There are a few 'experts' out there who can do an excellent job but it does take experience. In the present case, I have a very nice sign that has previously been badly restored and I just want to do a better job on it.

Archived