Airfix Battles - First impressions and Manifesto

Dad Paul B

THIS IS A RE-POST AS IT WAS REMOVED WITHOUT EXPLANATION!!

I would like to introduce Myself, I am the admin for the facebook group AIRFIX BATTLES APPRECIATION GROUP, which is a group of fans that are working hard to create new content for the Airfix Battles Introductory Wargame, a game that lets you use your own Airfix models in a wargame ot use the counters in the box.

I stumbled across this game just over a year ago and was amazed how quick it was to pick up the rules and the gameplay was such fun. Unlike most wargames it did not come with a 600 page rulebook to disec t! I could see a huge potential for future development of this game, so created the facebook group. It also was a perfect platform to dig out all my old Airfix kits and figures and use them in a game! This is something that I wish I had when I was a boy!

We now have over 330 members and a huge quantity of fan made extra content for this amazing game, it's just a pity that that Airfix and Modiphius are not making these.

So what is the problem? Why am I posting on here? Well it seems that Airfix don't seem to be interested in developing this amazing game any further, and I don't understand why? Wargaming is a huge hobby. and so is modelling, so it makes perfect sense to bring the two together.

Why is Airfix Not interested?? Would like to hear others thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

It's a shame that it appears Airfix do not want to expand the game

It is a real shame and I don't understand why? Wargaming is a huge hobby and works perfectly alongside all the vehicles and figures that Airfix produce. The gameplay and rules are easy to pickup and extremely fun to play. My Son and I were looking at starting out playing wargames and stubbled across AIRFIX BATTLES on google. The marketing of the game seems to have very poor, but the quality of the game very high! My Son and I fell in love with the game and the fact that we didn't need to learn a 600 page rule book to play it.

It was also a bonus that we could use my old Airfix figures from the loft! It was very nostalgic, and has made me think about buying some more Airfix stuff for future battles.

Come on Airfix, don't let this slip through your fingers! If you don't want to support a new version of the game, at least help market the current game. I feel that this game has a lot of life in it, and I am sure that every owner of Airfix figures would love a copy of the game . . . . if they just knew it existed!

• 1 year later...

Well, it is available through Airfix directly and game design is very different to model engineering so Airfix won't have the capability to expand the game themselves. Modiphius were producing a free quarterly e-magazine which included material for AB but have not released an issue for a while,though the back catalogue is available on their website. Their hardcopy store is temporarily closed down as their warehouse has shut in the current situation.

I have been wargaming for 40 years and was impressed by the package, I have devised cards for new troop types and written some scenarios. Hopefully it will be possible to tie in new 1/72 vehicle kits to the game to promote sales, especially if it is possible to include a unit card in the package.

Don't be put off by the price. Many rule sets require a core book and several more of Army Lists which run to a lot more than the price of Airfix Battles. The counters are nicely produced but miniatures are more fun.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Airfix Battles project is still alive! The Facebook group now has official status and has all three designers on board and active members of the group. We now have over 1200 members and a huge array of extra fan-made maps and content available to download.

There is still a future for this game. The designers have big plans to make the game bigger, with or without Airfix on board. Watch this space and check out the Official Airfix Battles Appreciation Group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirfixBattles/