White metal disease?

Dazzler down under

Is there a time after which you can be fairly certain that a model will not suffer from Mazak rot ie if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't or is it a time bomb awaiting for the right atmospheric/external conditions to trigger it?

I've certainly had experiences of plasticard becomming brittle and warped so generally try to keep my model railways out of direct sunlight/UV.

SoT, so it can still happen to metal thats not contaminated, is that what your saying? So even humidity, storage conditions and age can cause this? Or does the metal have to be first contaminated for those things to speed up the disintegration process? I ask because of my 20 odd hornby locos R2629 seems to be the only one effected at the moment, and my locos are always stored in the garage either on the layout or in their box, on a day like today we are  expecting temperatures to hit 40+ degrees in the shade, in the garage it will get up over 50 for sure, and most of my locos have seen 5-10 summers. Are you suggesting i move locos to a cooler part of the house on the hot days? otherwise i might have to relocate  the air conditioner from the lounge room into the garage, the kids can sweat.

Your locos should be ok but only time will tell, from the outside my loco looks good as new, you would never think there were anything wrong with it, and id assume this thing takes a few years to manifest so theres no way to tell if a brand new loco has it. So far its just the 1 hornby model effected from the 09 catelogue The rest of my models are ok.

I've just never heard of it "over here"

I'd never herd of it before either WW, I had to get the guy in the shop to explain it to me twice before it sunk in and I still wasn't sure what he was on about till I posted this thread and got some info I could actually understand, then I googled it and it's wide spread and all too common in today's models. Look it up it's pretty scary. I've inspected all my locos, even the ones I don't run atm.

We're the other way around LC&DR if it's not 40 degrees today it was yesterday or it will be tomorrow.

Archived