Name and number your loco

Dazzler down under

The GWR and BR (WR) route restriction and Power Group "Spots" are also available as transfers from various sources.

Most real spots have a letter (Power Group) on them....except the lowest Power Group that is.

There is also the "uncoloured" "spot" for the lightest locos...

Uncoloured

Yellow

Blue

Red

Double Red (Only the King Class)

It was hardly worth me buying the red spots as I have only needed to do one loco like that and the lettering would be so small as to be insignificant. I would like to get hold of Drivers Nameplates for the cab if only to just have the odd Brits I know had them to have them in my collection. I am not looking for names on them though as that again would be too small to see. Most of the ones I have seen in photos had no name in them anyway.

I carefully choose the donor loco to have a smaller plate than the one I am converting it to if I can. I have on odd occasions chosen one with a longer plate than I expected ie same number of letters but just a fraction too long for the new plate to go over so I place the new plate over the old and just touch out the old with a spot of balck paint. It is hardly noticable. On a Hall class I did the plate was too big and the wrong arc so that was readjusted with a bit of careful filing to get Warfield Hall. Some WR region Brits carried a red spot under the number and I just use the tip of a 0 brush with a small blob of red paint on and just touch it carefully on the cab. Then leave it to dry and it shrinks back to level and stays round.

I guess I'm on to a no winner for renamind Adderly Hall into Garth Hall unless I trim the original plates! As I'm contemplating an oil burner this will be the least of my problems!

Archived