What to run with a Jouef 231C

81F

I now have three runable versions of this loco, one in all over brown (I assume NORD) and two in SNCF green. Can someone advise on coaches or wagons that would look right with tese.

I have some CIWL sleeping cars (Voiture Lits) in blue - would these go best with the SNCF ones.

My intention is to keep these locos in a display case and only run occasionally so something that was made at the same time the models would be preferable.

Can someone also suggest a suitable DCC chip for the tender drive and loco drive versions

Many thnks

• 1 month later...

As you know these locomotives were main motive power for mainline long distance trains in the North of France. 

Mainly routes from Paris to places like Calais too.  But also cross country from Channel ports to Lille and onwards.

The day trains would be ordinary SNCF coaches and at night also sleeping cars owned by the CIWL (Companie Internationale des Wagon Lits). SNCF and national railways only had seated compartment stock or at most couchettes (convertible day and night modes).   Instead the sleeping cars and restaurant cars were CIWL.  Also in earlier days there were CIWL owned Pulmann cars in brown. 

A typical composition usually rather heavy say a dozen coaches and more would have all sorts of coaches. Don't forget the through coaches, say from Channel ports to Paris but then to many destination further South such as Nice, Switzerland and Italy.  For these destinations also some non French coaches from these countries.

Lets not forget the baggage and postal cars. SNCF had also distinctive clerestory TPOs.

From the Channel ports to Lille cross country the number of destinations was even bigger to places such as Hungary, South Germany, Austria, etc.

The North of France trains had also through coaches for the Orient Express too passed to other trains at major stations. Both national seated couchettes and CIWL restaurant and sleepers.

The shorter distance trains were the ones only to Paris such as the Golden Arrow / Fleche d'Or an all Pulmann train.  Also the Night Ferry with CIWL type F sleepers plus SNCF seated coaches and baggage cars.  Only the sleepers and the fourgon (baggage car) were ferried during the night to/from England. 

So any long distance coach of the period would do.  SNCF both post nationalization and company types not just Nord. For FS it would the brown livery period.

A lot of of possibilities and eterogeneous trains.

Personal recollection from when I was a boy extrapolated 10/20 years before. I remember mostly electrics but same trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived