Turbo GT problem

jasbox2203

Hi , I have got my son the micro turbo gt as a starter set. We set it up but one car on any lane will not stay on the track. Even if you very lightly squeeze the controller as soon as the current kicks in the car flies off the track. I have tried turning it down on controller but it makes no difference?? 

Hi jasbox. Can you confirm that the problem car does the same if you run it on either track or if you swap the controllers round? And the other car behaves normally on both lanes and with both controllers?

Hi , yes indeed I have swapped cars onto different lane and with alternate controller and it still does it , very strange

Thanks. Yes - very strange! I'd normally expect that sort of problem would be caused by a faulty controller or powerbase... but I do have a hunch.

Do you have a 9V battery handy? It doesn't need to be completely new. Stand the battery on a table, +ve terminal to the left. Lower the car's braids onto the terminals, left front onto the +ve terminal, right to the negative. Do that with both cars and tell us if there is any difference in the sound the two cars make - particularly the pitch of the sound.

Hi , i Would have done just that but have discovered that my wife has just taken it all back to argos to get it exchanged! Hopefully the new one will work ok. But it’s taken away all my fun in investigative toy fixing !!

thanks anyway and I shall let you know if the new one is good 

Probably a wise move there! At least you'll be racing with the new set in a few hours.

What I think was the issue was that the problem car had a motor in it from the battery-powered 'My First Scalextric' set. These ran on 6 volts so the cars had motors with much lower resistance. Running on the 15V standard Micro Scalextric would turn them into on/off rocket ships - sound familiar? If I'm right, it's a pretty bizarre occurrence...

What I would recommend to maximise the Micro Scalextric fun factor is to get a couple more cars. It adds to the fun and gives you spares if one breaks down. Scalextric recently produced four individual cars - two GT cars and two American Nascars - for £10 each. They aren't in stock here, but some of the stockists (see link on top of page) will have them. I just checked and Jadlam Racing Ltd have the two Nascars. Alternatively, there are lots of nearly new Micro Scalextric cars (usually split from sets) available on eBay. The bodies are interchangeable on the chassis (apart from the F1-style cars) and you can also find replacement chassis.

Any questions, problems etc do come back here. I think Micro Scalextric is great introduction to slot car racing and plenty of scope for toy-fixing fun too 😉

Happy New Year!

Archived