Wrenn engines

rayarpino

Hi all,

I never cease to be amazed at the number of 'mint' or 'near mint' special edition Wrenn locos that are on offer at the middle and upper-end of three-figure prices. There appears to be a continuous flow of these, one exception being the streamlined Coronation that is very rare indeed. I do have a fondness for these 'revivals' of the old Hornby-Dublo models and I did purchase a number of Wrenn engines when they were still in production. But there are now so many special-editions available that I am beginning to wonder if they are genuine or made up by people who have access to a stock of parts. I am not accusing anyone of cheating, but there does seem to be an endless supply for those who can afford them. Whar are your thoughts on this matter?

Hi Ray

There are no special editions being made, the last few locomotives made were when Dapol brought the remaning stocks tools etc, after the Wrenn Brothers closed the company. I agree there may be some collectors collections being disposed of, but some of the so called mint or near mint are far from mint or near mint or new mint

There are some rare models this is due to so few being made in total, like W2241 Duchess of Hamilton has a mark 1 chassis but had larger wheels only 10 made.

One of the best referance books I have is Maurice Gunters book on Wrenn Locos it give production numbers for each era of each loco made. I know the he and serveral others who own Wrenn brand name and last of the stocks tools etc are making brand new metal loco bodies and are working with Dapol to make new truck bodies and collectors trucks which are small production figuars max 30 per truck made. Maurice has not got necessary equipment etc to make new chassis, to go with the new bodies. I use to be a member of the Wrenn Collectors club and serveral letters appeared in the magazine asking if new chassis would be made and the answer was a polite no

Archived