Live steam without controller.

Guest Chrissaf

It can and has been done. There are photo's and possibly instructions on this forum somewhere, but I can't find them in a quick look.

The person you need to look for is called GoWest.

Hi

all you really need just to get it running is a 12- 14 volt DC power supply and an 8 volt DC power supply if you add a relay to switch from 12-14 to 8 volts and link this with 2 micro switches plus a second relay to switch the 8 volt polarity that should work 

A more involved unit would be a pwm for a 16 volt power supply so a control to the heater settings can be achieved and a fixed 8 volt dc for the servo control along with the above switching will also work. The engine heaters run at 6 amps so a beefy power unit for the heaters a trip is a good idea for such high power. 

ken

HelloThanks

I found your topic about radio control but on photo I see something looking like the second part of official controller.https://www.hornby.com/us-en/forum/build-your-own-radio-control-system/?p=1

If I understand your explaination correctly :- 12-14V applied on track activate heater- Switching to 8V give possibility to control motor for moving train and polarity define direction

For the boiler, is it needed to apply specific polarity or it can be the same as direction use ?PS : Not malware but mallard (thanks auto correction)

The high dc voltage can be connected any way round this does not matter as you are only powering up the 2 heaters to boil the water.

the 8 volt dc will be polarity sensitive as it will determine in which direction the engine will travel

Ken

2e

its a very simple circuit you might just see a single transistor on the pcb below the network of resistors on the base of the transistor will make it switch on a relay when 16 volts is on the power rails 

when the volts drop to 8 volts the transistor switches off the relay drops out if the contacts are wired to the motor when off then on seeing the 8 volts the motor will run all you need to decide is in which direction should the motor run?

this is determined by the switching on the controller regulator lever as to pos neg or neg pos it's the operation of this lever that changes not only the 16 volt to 8 volt but the pos neg bit to.

hope this helps

Ken

day /media/tinymce_upload/e7bec79e28f04cc2d328e0c343de67e4.jpg

I found this on another site, I tried it with a pcb simulator, if you use values from right side table it's working

/media/tinymce_upload/bb5a03aeb6c2a439b2097ae75113c8bc.jpg

Another question, I read that sometimes peoples heard clics from relay, that mean I have to switch regularly to 16v to keep boiler enought warn, is it right ?

Oh - I see now. I was thinking too complex, when in reality it is pretty crude really!

Either 14v any polarity to heat the boiler, OR 8v either polarity to control direction and speed - not one overlaid on the other (a bit like poor man's DCC), the 8v being manually pulsed up or down to 'step' the motor and control speed.

Thats a description I posted some time back giving how it works and that is all that is needed to control the motor I did redesign a new system using an SSR which makes the unit smaller as I fit the electronice in the smallest of places so the cab can be detailed like the real thing plus crew.

Ken

Hello 

I found for a good price a live stream malware.

I was very happy until I understand that controller is mandatory.... and impossible to get

After looking on web and this forum I get some info about 8-18V and pwm 

Do you think it's possible to make a controller from scratch to control my machine ?

Thanks in advance

Yep, on your schema you put 3 at middle pin 😀

Here full schema, with command in left and loco circuit on rightjust boiler is replaced by a lamp

/media/tinymce_upload/a2f8a71279ccb7bfd9e5328e37c5db5a.jpg

Edited from proteus, if someone need file to make pcb or anything else, just tell

thanks for all infos

the 1 uf is to small a value and the heaters are not wired to the relay you left out the bridge rectifier so i think you will find the relay switching in and out when the engine runs over poor track look back at the Hornby PCB and rethink?

here is a simple control unit that will work with Hornby Live Steam engines and replaces your switches sw1 and sw2 making for a more auto operation..

/media/tinymce_upload/c19e1050fc317c9c67819346d76e0c56.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived