power or track trouble?

Hello All

I'm trying to resurrect a basic set bought about 10 years ago - simple oval track and 2 x Audi TT cars.  One of the controllers is dead so needs replacing but main issue is with the track/cars.

I've run through the maintenance tips on the website and so far....

With rear wheels lifted of the track engines on both cars run well  at all points on the track.

But with rear wheels on the track one car needs a good shove to move and stops once initial momentum is lost.  On the other car the engine goes into a high pitch whine and goes nowhere even with a shove.

Seems like there isn't enough power to handle the weight of the car/resistance of track?

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Hi Bris4061 - welcome to the forum! Getting an older track working again can take some effort, but will be satisfying when you succeed! I’m presuming it is the full size Scalextric set “Start!” and not a smaller Micro Scalextric set “TT Challenge”?

I’m hoping there is no rust on the metal track rails, but the rails might be tarnished - dark grey. My first stop would be to go to the pound shop to get a tin of lighter-fuel (in the smoking paraphernalia section) and a pack of cotton buds. If you don’t have a set of small ‘jewellers’ screwdrivers, get those too.

First, take each piece of track and clean the rails with a small squirt of lighter fuel on a rag. Then use a cotton bud & lighter fuel to clean the metal lug and socket at each end. Using the video on the track maintenance page, tighten the metal tabs under the track. A wipe over the plastic track surface is never a bad idea, especially after storage. Rebuild the track and there’s probably no change, but you have a perfectly clean & tight track.

Next, the car. Use cotton buds & lighter fuel to clean the surface of the braids (wipe front to back) until the buds don’t get filthy. Use a small flat-head screwdriver to just lift the braids off the plate, to give a 45-degree angle. Test. If the braids are very ragged, they will need changing. There would have been spares in the set.

Then open up the car but removing the four screws (two front, two back) on the bottom of the car with a small cross-head screwdriver.There’s not much in there - check the rear axle bushings (the white things) are snapped into the undertray. Check the motor is also snapped into the under tray. If these are loose, the two gears will not mesh and under pressure (when you put the wheels on the track), will do drive and may scream. If this is what is happening, press the bushing and/or motor back in place. If the retaining lugs are broken, you can get a replacement undertray or try a repair. Use a dab of superglue to fix each bushing into the recess in the undertray. Superglue probably won’t hold the motor if one of the rear clips is snapped - a generous amount of hot glue probably will! Hopefully, there are not breakages and all you need to to push the bushings & motor in place. I also hope the gears have not been damaged.

Let us know how you get on. There may be other things to look at and other suggestions people have.

Archived