Modify Sport controllers/Power Base for Classic track

Hi

I've got a couple of older Scalextric sets (Le Mans and Super Saloons) that my young boys enjoy playing with.  However, they love to just mash the throttle down and send the cars flying as soon as they get to a corner.

I've seen some Sport powerbases with controllers on Ebay, but they use the new style track connector, I've got the round clip and peg type track.

I'm handy with a soldering iron, and was wondering if it was possible to either swap the wires out of the new controllers (change from the rectangular plug to the 3.5mm jack type) or even just convert the power base to use the other track type?

Has anyone attempted this?

Hi Nathan - welcome to the forum!

The easiest way is to get the new powerbase, power supply and controllers and then pop a pair of Classic to Sport converters around it: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/track/converter-straight-x-2.html

As you are handy with a soldering iron, you could easily solder some 3.5mm stereo jacks onto the new controllers (get the latest ones with 4-speed settings - they are better). Alternatively, you could swap out the Sport track piece from a new powerbase and replace it with Classic - the soldering part will be relatively straight-foward, but you'll need to a bit creative to attach the track to the base.

I hope that helps.

Archived