Are scalextric slot car controllers interchangeable with other tracks?

I have an old hot wheels slot track, one of the controllers has stopped working and I was hoping to give it my son. He can still use it with only one car but wants to play with me, one of the controller doesn't work. Ive checked both lanes and they both work with the other controller plugged into them. I can't find hot wheels slot car controllers anywhere in the UK. If I purchased a replacement controller by scalextric would it plug in and work on my track? Otherwise I'll have to buy a completely new track set? Thanks in advance. 

Hi Charaphelion - welcome to the forum!

Hotwheels have produced a few different slot car systems over the years, in different scales and with different controllers. The most recent was a system with orange track and a scale somewhere between Scalextric and Micro Scalextric. If that’s the set you have, I suggest contacting Hotwheels and seeing if they can supply you with a replacement controller. The current Scalextric controllers won’t be a direct replacement, although the older Scalextric Sport controllers have a 3.5mm stereo plug - would that fit the Hot Wheels powerbase?

One of the benefits of getting a Scalextric set is that there are spares available - plus you can gradually add track, cars and accessories to  grow your layout.

Archived