Panzer IV Kugelblitz

jopres57

Shortly after the Airfix Panzer IV was originally released I remember an article in the modelling press ( fairly sure it was Airfix mag ) describing a conversion to the experimental kugelblitz anti-aircraft tank. I was impressed by the vehicle and would have really liked to have attempted the work with balsa wood, plastic card, and other bits and pieces, typical of the times, but unfortunately my skillset fell well short. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I noticed a fairly neat kugelblitz conversion kit available on-line which coincided with a realisation that my Panzer IV stash from various decades was becoming ridiculously large. Hence my first serious attempt at a conversion:

/media/tinymce_upload/6f9cfe1464ed96a15defe9dab25daf50.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/58d2ffbaa007414441e96b59b6f03550.JPG

It's a impressive looking vehicle but good luck to any potential gun crew. That turret looks like it could be really difficult to escape from if it jams in the wrong position.

Hi Jopress57

That looks like a very neat build and an interesting subject. I always liked the Airfix Panzer IV, it just sort-of just looked right, where-as many of their other tanks didn't.

Thanks for showing the model and keep them coming,

Remember we do this for fun                                John the Pom

• 3 years later...

I built a Kugelblitz some years ago by Dragon, and I know what you mean about the ball turret, it must have been awful to operate inside. Having recently built a lot more 1/35 kits, (currently I have eleven on the go) I thought I'd build a second Kugelblitz, this time as part of my winter-camo kick. It really is an interesting vehicle, and looks great with the other Flakpanzers, both real and of the what-if variety.