A Big thank you to LC& DR!!!!

JJ73

WOW  - on the Thread of Hornby Collect Club>Is the 'H-Class' Backwards????

LC&DR told me about the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry. - If any one else is reading this - I strongly recommend going there - WOW I could really feel the past coming back on to me - YOU have GOT The Railways ( lot of in that area!!!) the Canals & the Roads & on the sides you have got the Whalfs building being Loving converted in to other things - also the old Warehouses have been restored & being used as other things - it is such an amazeing area - like I said you feel like you have "GONE BACK IN TIME". There is a good mixture of old & new. With the oldest surviving Station in the world built in 1820!!! Sadly the Engine shed part of it was closed (even thou I did quickly manage to snug in an open side door to have a quick look (I know naughty me!!!) to find all the Loco, Wagon & any thing else were all under big covers!!!) It was being done up - Of couse I am going to make a video of it right now - here are a few Photos just to wet your appetite!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/e592262022656a9b4f6f041942c68f63.JPG

How to get there by foot...(oh before I forget - parking by car is easy near by under some Rail way archies I found a Car Park where you can park all day for only £7!!! Rather parking on the street for 2 or 3 hrs for about £5 to £6!!!)

/media/tinymce_upload/85dd4200b1f79729ca4b4f64e9b4e94c.JPG

See what I mean - about the history of the ara - big powerful bridges!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/f78c4c913fa84a28abfd0c6e7d863cad.JPG

& this is what you want to Look out for...Find this & you have found the entrance (is free) just in the background!!! Type in M3 4FP in your Sat Nav (of those who have got 1!!!)

I was blown away by the place - I spent a few good hrs there - They have got 2 Cafe there - quite expensive though.

JJ, Did you go in the stinky sewer?  😆

A direct tram ride gets you to Bury where the East Lancashire Railway is a 5 min walk from the terminus, always worth a visit. The last time I went to the MS&I specifically on a visit was when they had the Garratt event which was a good few years ago. They had real ones, minature ones and model ones. It was a great day. I must find the photos at some point. 

I have used the meeting rooms since as a training venue for incident response. A fantastic place and difficult to get everyone into the room on time as there was so much else to see. Using the venue commercially also contributes to keeping the museum free so a good place to go!

If you go through the hall with the locos and the hot air engines and carry on you come to a building with the history of utilities in it, part of which is a recreation of a sewer with model rats and appropriate smells. There used to be a bog monster at the end that asked children what they could put down the toilet but apparently it frightened the little cherubs so it was taken away. My granddaughter loved it. “Can you put your poo down the toilet?” Etc. 

Rana - If it the hall that I think that your saying about - then it was closed because they are doing it up & all the locos had big covers on them!!! & how do I know that - b/c some 1 left the side door open & so I snucked in!!! As you can see in my video which I made about it!!!  

Euuu @ your granddaughter!!! - Too much info!!!  😉 😆