Visibility

The Rat

My tired old eyes are having a bit of a problem detecting the contrast when looking at the little boxes that tell me which page of a thread I'm on. Not really a major complaint, just a bit of an annoyance. A techie friend of mine said:

"You could ask them to adjust the CSS of their navigation elements to make them more accessible."

Any chance of doing whatever that is?

The answer is likely to be no. I stand to be corrected (by Admin), but more or less from the get-go Admin made it clear that the forum functionality was limited and customisation was not an option. Yes, you probably could edit the CSS, but I doubt they would. Personally I'm not a fan of the low contrast text, but it is what it is unless Admin can tell us otherwise. I use ctrl and mouse scrolling (or cursor keys) to adjust the zoom proportions. It doesn't solve the contrast issues, but making everything a bit larger makes it more comfortably readable for me. 

Outside of once working as a driving instuctor for a company named CSS Driver Training, I have absolutely no idea what CSS is, so I wouldn't be able to modify it anyway. My techie friend tells me that here in Canada it will be the law next year that one can adjust it, so it must be something that is serious enough to warrant such action. Quote: "It’s going to be law in 2021. You can quote AODA. That’s the new accessibility law."

CSS = Cascading Style Sheets. Basically it's a bunch of unintelligible code (unless you understand CSS code) that sets out all the parameters for the forum graphics and text. The CSS is not accessible to members, you have to have access to the forum control panel to edit it. I'm not sure how you could draft a law so that members could fool around with a CSS, it's simply not feasible, you have to be an expert in coding to make any sense of it. I think what your friend is suggesting that forums might be required to have optional schemes to suit ranges of impairment (or simple choice), for instance dark backgrounds with pale or white text might offer better contrast and work better for various visual impairments. On Invision powered forums it's possible to run multiple CSS and offer members optional 'skins', but that doesn't seem to be the case here and admin has always acknowledged that the forum functionality is limited and unlikely to be modified.