Wider wheels/tyres

SamG

I'm running a Scalextric Mercedes AMG GT3 No.9 and think it could benefit from wider rear tyres/wheels. There appears to be plenty of room in the wheel well.

The current setup has it sitting very close to the track and I want to keep it that way, just add more width for greater traction when cornering hard.

Can anyone recommend what would work?

Also, any links to the service sheet for this vehicle? I have searched all over and found nothing.

Thanks 

Hi SamG - welcome to the forum!

The service sheets stopped several years ago when Scalextric decided to stop stocking and selling spare parts for new cars. The last cars to have service sheets were the BMW Z4, Aston Martin Vantage, BMW 125i and the Honda Civic Type R - although hardly any spares were ever available for these cars.

As for the Mercedes-AMG GT3, this is one of the best-handling GT3 cars produced by Scalextric. The Scalextric AMG is nice and wide with a rear track width of 61mm. The recent Scalextric GT and touring cars share a common wheels size, which are compatible with performance brands such as Slot.it. This means racing tyres from Slot.it will fit the Scalextric wheels. If you are after a little extra width and a more grippy compound, you could look at either the C1 or P6 compounds for use with Scalextric Sport track. I use the Slot.it P24 tyre (P6 compound) and that works very well on my GT3 and BTCC cars which I race without traction magnets on Scalextric Sport track. The width of these tyres is 10mm.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, clears up my issue finding the service sheet.

Yes the handling is great. I had been looking at the Aston Martin just before I got the Merc but the livery I liked was out of stock.

What I was thinking about was whether I could swap out the rims, or even the entire rear axle set and replace with something that holds 12mm tyres. The wheel well looks like it could take more without having tyres extend outwards of the body.

I don't mind the upgrade work, just not sure where to start on the options.

Hi Sam - the ends of the Scalextric axles are roughed up (knurled) to hold the plastic wheels. That makes them less than good for fitting decent racing wheels (either aluminium or plastic). The new Scalextric wheels are the same size as most racing wheels, so I would experiment with what you have and start by trying some racing tyres.

The alternative is to replace the entire rear axle assembly - the correct length Slot.it axle, an inline Slot.it spur gear, bronze or brass bushings (to fit Scalextric - eg Slot.it PA68) and then wheels of your choice. Most racing wheels are either 8mm or 10mm wide. Choose one with the same diameter as the Scalextric wheels and choose similar wheel insert to make them look nice - and tyres. Aluminium wheels are preferable - you will need an Allen key or screwdriver to fit the Slot.it grub screws on the wheels and the spur gear.

A good place in the UK to buy the tune-up parts is Pendle Slot Racing. They will be very helpful in making sure you get what you need. They may suggest a new pinion gear on the motor, for which you'll need a simple pinion tool.

Although there are 12mm wheels and tyres available, these are F1 wheels and will probably be too high for the Mercedes and its bodywork. I do think you'll find the extra grip you are looking for with the standard wheels and Slot.it 10mm wide tyres. A change of rear axle, gear, bushings and aluminium wheels (+ inserts) should give you a smoother ride, but at a price (about £16-20 vs £5.40 for two pairs of tyres).

Happy New Year!