Arc Pro: digital track options?

Jensen76

Hi - I am completely new to this and while I have tried for several hours now to read through previous forum posts, I may be asking "old" questions. However, I am in desperate need of advice.

I have purchased an Arc Pro (C8435) Power Base, assuming that this would be the top of the line for digital racing. Was I wrong? It says on the box: "Transform any Scalextric set into an ARC PRO compatible set."

In my efforts to create a fun, custom race track resembling Sebring, I fell in love with the curved lane changing track (which I understand from other posts are now quite infamous) as well as the straight lane changing track x. A pit lane is also included. Is it correct, that these features will not work with the Arc Pro Power station in digital mode, unless the lane changing pieces are modified (something which I do not venture to undertake as a newbie)? 

My next step is to return the Arc Pro and purchase a C7042 Scalextric Digital Power Base instead. Am I correct in assuming that the digital track mentioned above (both the curve lane changers, the straight lane changers and the pit area) will all work well with the C7042? 

Your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi Jensen76 - welcome to the forum!

There is - in my opinion - quite a lot of uninformed 'expert' opinion about ARC Pro on the internet. ARC Pro is the current Scalextric digital system, released in November 2017. The C7042 Advanced 6-car powerbase is about ten years old. Out of the box, ARC Pro is a complete digital system, the C7042 is more basic.

However, the old curved lane changers (which have not been available new for 6-7 years) are not compatible with the original 2017 ARC Pro powerbase. Subsequent versions of the powerbase will work with the curved lane changers. It all depends on when your powerbase was made. All pit lanes and straight lane changers are compatible with all the ARC Pro powerbases. There is more info here: https://slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/upgrades.html

The C7042 is the basis for an excellent digital system, but you need to add various third-party add-ons, which can be costly. I have written about this here: https://slotracer.online/community/showthread.php?tid=1056

I use ARC Pro at home and the C7042 plus all the add-ons at my local digital club. ARC Pro is still quite new, so is at the start of its development phase - I suspect enthusiasts will develop upgrades and add-ons over the next few years. There is already the Magic app for ARC, which is a nice alternative to the Scalextric app.

I hope that helps.