HMS Belfast

David Pye

Hail All - some while ago I was asked to post some pics of the HMS Belfast model I was working on once I'd completed it. I was intending to do a 'waves diorama' and that's why it's been delayed - eventually this hasn't happened as my wife rather likes the colours on the base of the boat. Having promised the pictures though, here are a few...

/media/tinymce_upload/c927b223b87e2e9cd2130d91eb6838e3.jpg

First time I've done an Arctic camouflage - challenging but enjoyable

/media/tinymce_upload/a02a4ab062a3e1d3a4c61d8c01b9caf9.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/c066e0fb61cae6e43724fca95351e42c.jpg

I found it hard to find pictures showing the 'rigging' clearly - this was an educated best guess so I hope I don't offend too many.

/media/tinymce_upload/c325a8df3c91614105e56254f692cd5c.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/8b35271d457898f86016f847bd5b743e.jpg

The observant will note that the superstructure shown here lacks the moulded in doors etc. The model was one I had obtained from a boot fair/charity shop some years ago and had been haning around in the loft. When I came to do it there were pieces missing, that superstructure piece being one of them. This piece is hand-built from an unwanted closed bomb door of a Wellington my son was building.

Anyway - it's done. As is the Tupolev SB-2 that followed it. (Frog - and must have been a late product of the moulding tool - urgh).

Great build and photos... in my view the Belfast is one of the best  Airfix 1:600 kits and builds up into a really nice and rewarding model to create with quite a lot of detail and colour scheme. One thing that struck me as odd was the lack of the boats for the 2 davits towards the stern as I seem to remember Airfix ships come fully equipped with them... your pics have also reminded me I still have an Iron Duke, Nelson & Warspite to put together so hope they match up to the Belfast, and have better detail and parts fit than the Hood which I found a bit basic...so glad Airfix have provided the wherewithall for such an inspiring hobby over my last 60 years 

• 4 weeks later...

Great build and photos... in my view the Belfast is one of the best  Airfix 1:600 kits and builds up into a really nice and rewarding model to create with quite a lot of detail and colour scheme. One thing that struck me as odd was the lack of the boats for the 2 davits towards the stern as I seem to remember Airfix ships come fully equipped with them... your pics have also reminded me I still have an Iron Duke, Nelson & Warspite to put together so hope they match up to the Belfast, and have better detail and parts fit than the Hood which I found a bit basic...so glad Airfix have provided the wherewithall for such an inspiring hobby over my last 60 years 

It's perfectly possible that the lifeboats for the rear davits were missing from the kit - a few parts were (as mentioned bootsale/charity shop purchase). Having only recently returned to modelling I am still building up my supply of spare parts, I had no lifeboats and didn't rate my chances of forming them from fresh.

Many thanks for the complimentary comments.