New Starter

Deeno

Being new to building, at least as an adult I am considering trying the R.M.S. Titanic Gift Set 1:400 as a starting point, would people say this is a good model to start with? Also does the set come complete with glue paint and all the rigging, hope someone can help, thanks

As a complete beginner? I'd suggest something of minimal cost that you can afford to make mistakes on whilst learning to remove, trim and fit parts. I'm not wishing to pre-judge where you're at, or what your skill sets might be like, but when starting out you may well expect the first couple of efforts to be not quite like you might have expected. Ship kits especially - at least in my experience - are less forgiving than other genres. I recommend you go on to Owen's Quick Kits channel on Youtube and take a look at some of his time lapse builds with entry level Airfix kits. You might get some inspiration and if you follow the builds step by step it should be a gentle introduction in getting up and running. Once you've done a few then that big Titanic will be a much more feasible proposition. Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum and our wonderful hobby!

The starter and gift sets do include cement, brush(es) and paints, but they are small pots (potentially not enough for a large ship model) and can be a bit of a pain. You will also need some primer (Humbrol 1 is fine, using acrylic thinner is often advisable too as it can be a problem getting it to bond onto even a washed surface when thinned with water) and varnish (gloss - Humbrol Clear Gloss is fine - before you put the decals on then either Matt or Satin on top depending on the subject. Though Humbrol Matt and Satin Acrylic varnishes can be tricky and leave white residues when brush painted. I favour vallejo, though Ammo-Mig do some nice varnishes, though they don't work with decal setting solutions. 

The 1/600 ships are pretty good models for their time. I have just built Ark Royal and that went well. I found Graf Spee good as a kid in the 70s and Bismarck is highly recommended but I havenever tried that one. My personal favourite was HMS Fearless but that hasn't been brought back so far.

Any of the newer tools are excelllent starting points, maybe a dogfight double as you get a stand for the pairing and both will be relatively easy builds for a beginner.