Running Live Stephensons Rocket

Tim.M

Hi all, can anyone help with running a rocket loco. Mine hasn't been run in a very long time. valves were seized but managed to use a little gentle pursuasion to free them. However, im using the correct water amount etc, when bringging up to steam, I think water is passing through the valves, into the cylinders and basically, coming out of everywhere. Lots of oil on the components, steam oil in the cylinder reservoirs........is this normal??

• 1 month later...

Not sure what you mean by steam oil, In mine when I finished running for the day I put a couple of drops manual transmission oil into the cylinders etc to stop corrosion and pistons sticking. Water gets everywhere as the steam condenses. But sounds and smells like a real steam engine when running. Just make sure you are

using distilled water. If you need parts I bought a new steel gas tank and other bits and pieces from a supplier in Great Britain. "Forest Classics"

/media/tinymce_upload/ba64ce563ad27f34c03635710f975f77.jpg  

TIP: As first time newbie posters on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/