Static grass applicators and DCC

2e0dtoeric

Watching a well-known You-tube modeller, the other day, applying static grass. they clipped the 'negative' wire to one of the rails of the track on a large DCC layout.

-

Now - I know that the high voltage track cleaner devices can kill decoders, but does the high violtage of a static generator not affect them or the controller, equally badly?

-

Does anyone REALLY know, no speculation, please, I can do that myself!

Hi Eric - I always thought that the wire clipped to track or a nail in the PVA was just an earthing lead?  A bit like the cable that runs from your consumer unit and clamped to your water pipe. I'm not electrically minded as some, so probably a stupid answer. BB

I would have thought that the rails were well insulated from anything painted with PVA such as ground cover and other scenery!  The rails sit on plastic sleepers normally and plastic is an excellent insulator!  

Static charges kill many electronic chips. Hence why manufacturers of electronics, their installers and repair engineers wear anti static devices which are connected to ground/earth or they use an anti static mat to work on, again normally connected to earth.  When I make PIC micro controller electronics I wear a earth wrist strap.  Assemblers in electronic factories often wear ankle earthing straps, as it leaves their hands free and unhindered. You can see a wrist type one in an assembly area this in this video at around 12:55 minute in .

and in this video at around 1:18 

I would never use a static generator anywhere near anything electronic. 

So my advice would be remove all locos with decoders fitted.  Disconnect the DCC systems 'Track' connection from the rails or a Bus pair if used. Push a pin into the wet PVA for the static connection and do not use the rails. Then you're safer.    😎