RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch A05281.

John Symmons

RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch A05281.

/media/tinymce_upload/58178cc0e52111ae3fde80451b39cde6.jpg

At the end of last year, I was looking through my stash wondering what to build next. As I’d just completed a couple of old Hasagawa big aircraft namely the G4 betty and the H6K Mavis, which indecently has a wingspan in 1/72 scale of over 500mm, and the Trumpeter Sdk 9 Framo with the tank transporter trailer I was bit aircraft and armored out. I settled on the Airfix RAF Air-Sea Rescue Launch in 1/72nd scale.

I’d recently added a second kit to the one I already had as I wanted to build both variants in the box. There was the Yellow one from 1941 and the Grey one from 1944 with all the added armament. I decided to build the 1941 variant mounted on the supplied stands. (Something I never do.) The 1944 one I wanted to mount on an action sea-base. So, I build both in parallel only managing to finish the 1941 version, before lock-down and my hospital stay. Then my Mo-Jo also decided to go on lock-down.

The kit comes with 155 parts on varies odd sprues Typical of their vintage, with 26 clear parts, and decals for three boats one for 1941 which is the yellow one, and two for 1944. Also included is an RAF flag on somewhat thick paper. (I’d recommend you print one out on much thinner paper, such as 60grm or onion-skin paper if you can get it.) The kit has four very nice sculpted figures to crew the finished model. The instructions also show the variations in the rigging for the finished boats. (More on that later.)

The figures are again very good with good detail, but not quite as good as the figures supplied with the Airfix ‘E’ (S) boat I built a few years back, those were really superb. Now this beggars the question why can’t Airfix supply the same quality figures for the armour; support and aircraft kits in this same scale. If they could do it in the 1970’s why not now; please Airfix you make kits with a myriad of extra or optional parts that are not used, is it too much the supply some decent figures. If builders don’t want to use them that’s their choice but the option would be nice.

The Decals are very good with very mat clear carrier film and good solid colour. The only part that gave a slight problem were the foredeck ones that have to go over some raised detail, but with some setting solution all was fine. The decals were maybe not quite up to Cartograph standard but they’re not far off. Just remember to add them, especially the foredeck ones, early on in the build as some parts are fitted over the decals such as the anchor. There is very little interior detail except for a small sh0board and a steering wheel.

The build was pretty straight forward with no really major fit problems. The deck to hull fit was reasonably good just needed some time and care gluing it down in sections. Be very careful if using clamps as it’s all too easy to warp things. Before fixing the deck, you have to decide which variant you’re building as certain holes have to be opened. The only part that flummoxed was part 32, the rear of the cockpit. It turned out to be a clear part with aft facing widows, that needed to be masked before painting inside and out. Not that much can be seen anyway.

Most major assembly can be completed before painting, then adding the fittings afterwards. There are several hand rails and guards to be fitted that maybe look a touch overscale, but not grossly so. The transparent turrets can be assembled and added later than shown in the instructions which should ease the painting.

With the mast and fore and aft stays fitted the Rigging can be added. Just remember you’ll have to drill seven holes, three in the fore deck and four in the main combing, to attach the rigging. These holes, preferably, should have been done earlier so as not to damage any fittings. Unfortunately, there are no molded indications for the placement so some artistic license is required. One small oddity is that the flag for the 1941 boat is shown on the port side, but the 1944 variant is shown on the starboard? If you look hard at the rigging diagram it shows safety lines running from the fore and aft stays to the cockpit and combing hand-rails only, with nothing in the middle. I ran the aft line from the aft stays all the way to the cockpit hand rails.

While there are very nice colour illustrations for the painting guides, there is nothing to indicate the interior colour of the cockpit, (I did mine in white.) or the painting of the crew.

All in all, a very good kit that makes up into quite an impressive model and recommended. It would make an impressive display together with the ‘E’ (S) Boat and the Vosper., or make a dramatic diorama picking up a downed pilot from a sinking Hurricane or Spitfire. We can only hope that Airfix can re-release the Vosper and or the ‘E’ (S) Boat in the not too distant future.

Photos of the 1941 version below with the in completed 1944 one at the end. I’ll add the photos when that’s finally finished, but don’t hold your breath as I’ve a couple of other kits that need completion. Enjoy.

/media/tinymce_upload/5eb868e1801427578067a50c413effe3.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/7d1bc177c86c484ec34e56229a01b061.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/8f881a93b0ec57e21dfaef22918fdaed.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/317961b30ab679e0de69c16e1be0bc2e.JPG

Note the colour of the port lamp It's a transparent blue over silver. Pity about the turrets framing but I think I must have been getting a bit jaded.

/media/tinymce_upload/4d2fd00941da1d558192d857e3bb5d48.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/daf89c9a1d66665092f93b762241f3d6.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/fd5064d0a26d9ee145496bff82706cfc.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/7078d77101e1c69835a9c01e0e3762ed.JPG

That's a few shots of the 1941 variant and below is as far as i've got with the 1944 variant. Note even though the boat is partually mounted the sea base isn't comlete or ven painted. I'll post photos when I've completed the model.

/media/tinymce_upload/5fde8a16835c0e3b705477ab95e7c0bf.JPG

Remember we do this for fun                      John the Pom.

Fantastic!  I haven't seen that kit for forty-odd years, I had no idea it had been available in the "red-box" era.  I've got the old Vosper somewhere, built and packed up in a house move years ago, it would be nice to have them both together. 

I really like both of your builds, John - you've inspired me to seek one out (or possibly two) - thanks for posting!