Airfix 1/72 Tiger I A02342 Build

I'm usually a dyed in the wool aircraft builder, but was feeling a little jaded, and the new tool Tiger I kit caught my eye.

/media/tinymce_upload/bda011d225438444f525bb4dff5bb474.jpg

The last armour I built was the Revell 210mm artillery piece, which was 100's of tiny pieces, finally building up into quite a large model. I'm hoping this is a bit simpler!

On opening the box I found 5 sand coloured sprues, instructions and decals for a Normandy machine and another on the Eastern front, Winter 1943/44. Interestingly there are two complete sets of running gear, more on this later.

/media/tinymce_upload/42b075886691fb751b544ad3f5ce3f6c.jpg

The instructions give options to fit steel cables and extra track links around the turret and hull, for which flashed over holes need to be opened.

/media/tinymce_upload/55aa4d493a17c45cbcf5ed89d986a909.jpg

Colour scheme for the Normandy version, and decals

construction starts with the hull bottom and then moves onto the deck topping. This was simple and quick, with good fit of parts and no flash. I had the main hull together in about 30 minutes, using liquid cement.

/media/tinymce_upload/4d2139e84cac34508eb8d11afdfd7bcf.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f31af9c15e2c5a8b34de772c86c71374.jpg

Tools are molded in place. Then some of the smaller hull fittings are attached, such as mudguards, machinegun and exhausts. I must comment on the four towing eyes, two front and back, which are very small and delicate, but look good on.

That's where I finished my first build session, but before packing up I thought I would try out the simpler of the two track options. This consists of two half, but full length sections each side, with all track and wheels molded in.

/media/tinymce_upload/2ab0ba9da35215fe368319fa261523a4.jpg

These then are glued together and fit onto the suspension arms, as seen in a dry fit here.

/media/tinymce_upload/539beb8f1e5f6f2e1b99278e42b75a13.jpg

In the image below note the holes opened up for the fitting of the steel cable in the side of the armour.

/media/tinymce_upload/2badd3ecea5ec3012f4aff86b6133505.jpg

I think I will go for the slightly more complex running gear, with link and length track, as the molding of the track surface has more detail. However, either way is much better than the old system with multiple wheels and rubber band tracks. 

A bit more progress, I assembled the turret next. First I removed all the parts (except for the individual track links for the turret sides) from the runners, and opened up the flashed over holes in the turret sides with a pin vice.

/media/tinymce_upload/0e1ba6678c9c3934a1150816587b7b26.jpg

Then the parts were assembled using liquid cement. To be fair it took longer to clean the parts up than it did to put them together. All went together nicely with no fit issues, and the gun moves easily, but with enough friction for it to stay in the chosen position. The joint line at the rear of the turret is mainly covered by the turret bin, which saves some sanding.

/media/tinymce_upload/f4bc243540d3bca93c728a428574d575.jpg

The only issue with the kit so far is that none of the hatches are separate parts, so none can be left open without some major surgery.

Next up the tracks. As this is a one off I'm using the more complex link and length tracks, which has more detail on the track faces. However the simpler two part running gear is still nicely detailed, and if I were building several for, say wargaming, I would be happy to use them. In the picture below from left to right we have a completed link and length assembly, the link and length without tracks fitted, and the two part quick build assembly.

/media/tinymce_upload/58bef1b20305186ed0faaad0fee498fe.jpg

The link and length was a bit fiddly, and the track teeth around the return roller were very tight, but when completed it does look slightly better than the simpler version, but not much. If I were to do another I would go for the easy version.

Next up is painting and final assembly.

The main construction is now completed, and in the view below the first coat of the sand yellow colour is applied, but no cables or turret track links.

/media/tinymce_upload/3a31ed145d3539c081cd9ac1d1485841.jpg

The camouflage colours and some detail painting then took place. All colours used were as near as I had, and not exact, as I'm not usually an armour builder. Decals went on next, all 7 of them, then the cables and spare tracks.

/media/tinymce_upload/915a8f6071ab7bc770be2a797e1633e8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/ef75e53a5723ee12f9d2066440828c85.jpg 

I'm not an armour expert, so can't say how accurate this kit is, or if it has the correct features for the chosen mark, but it went together well, and does look like a Tiger in my opinion.

Just a bit of weathering to do now, and I'm calling it done.

I've now finished the weathering, and I'm calling it done.

/media/tinymce_upload/c81de8b487c8132d89522ec52b000090.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d03ebcdec5e7d12292cb29716ab80598.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e85f56e013ea845a85c7a5f61c5df476.jpg

As I said before, I'm not usually an armour builder, but this kit seemed to go together easily enough, though the detail did appear to be a little simplified in places, such as the detail on the inner side of the tracks, and missing lights. Overall I'm pleased with the results and will be having a go at the Firefly soon I think.

A good review PMM. Though I do model AFV's from time to time like you I'm not an expert armour builder but this kit does not inspire me. For many years I have avoided Airfix's Military Vehicles (other than the new RAF & US Airfield Support Vehicle Sets) and from what I have seen of this kit and the Firefly I'm not encouraged to return to the fold. I think I will stick to Airfix's excellent aircraft kits