Newbie needs help on LMS carriages

Paul-380474

Hi

I am building up a Hornby layout in my retirement. I once built a huge layout for my Private Boarding school (when working as a teacher there), and never lost the bug.

I am very excited by the new high quality locos and carriages being offered by Hornby, so much better than those I purchased back 25 years ago.

I wish to buy a small rake of four LMS carriages for my new 'Duchess of Kent'. The new offerings from Hornby are a bit sparse, and I can see that there is plenty of 'old stock' out there of varying 'R' numbers. My question is simple. Which of these offer the most up to date in terms of good detailing (including small sized carriage links), and which four would you suggest to make a good rake?

Why limit yourself to Hornby? Certainly the Hornby ex LMS carriages which are Stanier Period 3 are excellent models, the 2005 introduced versions are nicely detailed, but supply and availability can be a bit of a problem. Currently these are only available new in BR crimson & cream. Same applies to the Period 2 12 wheel catering car.

If you want LMSR livery and better detail the best ones will be Corridor 1st, R4230, Corridor 3rd R4231, Brake 3rd R4232, and Full brake R4233. Suffix letters A & B applied to later issues with alternative numbers.

Bachmann did at one time produce the Fowler Period 1 panelled stock (third, brake third and composite) using Mainline tooling, which are passible, lack of flush glazing may be an issue, but otherwise a useful alternative which will be available second hand.

Airfix / Dapol produced some Period 3 carriages, a 57' brake third and a 60' composite, and recently these have been available as pre-coloured kits. I believe these are now discontinued but may be available second hand.

In addition all the above have produced the 50' full brake, and Dapol made the six wheel brake as well.

Happy hunting!