Hornby Dublo couplings for NEM pockets

Old Dublo Collector

With 3 new models this year under the Hornby Dublo banner, I wonder if this range will continue to grow in the future? I would like to pull some original Hornby Dublo super detail coaches with my new Hornby Dublo locos, but of course the couplings are incompatible! With NEM pockets on the rear of the tenders, it should be quite east to swap the couplings, if there were some old style Hornby Dublo couplings available. Wrenn used to supply both styles of coupling with their versions of the Hornby Dublo locos, so might we see something similar from Hornby?

Hi Frank,

It should be easy enough to drill out the rivet holding the coupling on the coach and then you can mount what coupling you fancy.

I would suggest starting with a Kadee #5 on the coach and #20 on the loco.

(I can't see Hornby producing old style dovetail couplings but maybe the HRCA would consider it if enough members wanted. They may even know if one already exists)

The Tri-ang (modern Hornby) and the Hornby Dublo couplings are at different heights so not that easy to change over, I know, I’ve tried. There used to be adapters available but I have never seen one for NEM pockets. The easiest solution is probably to acquire a Tri-ang converter horse box and put it between the tender and first coach as was intended. Still prototypical and no need to modify anything.